Introducing Larger, Faster Sheets

Morgan Kozol
Morgan Kozol Employee
edited 05/21/21 in Product Announcements

Smartsheet Community,

Today, we are excited to announce improvements to sheets that will help you and your team scale your work in Smartsheet.

Available on all plan types, sheets now support up to 20,000 rows, 400 columns, 500,000 cells, 100,000 cross-sheet cell references, and 20,000 cell links. In addition, users will see up to 2x faster load times and up to 6x faster sheet scrolling.

To learn more about these improvements, check out our help article.

Enjoy!

-Morgan

P.S. we love to hear how you are using Smartsheet! Have feedback, a request, or a good news story? Share it with us! Leave a comment below or use this form.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/16/20

Hi Morgan,

Thanks!

Excellent news!

It opens up so many possibilities for new solutions, but also improvements to those already developed.

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Joey Razzano
    Joey Razzano ✭✭✭✭

Wow - this is fantastic news that I've been waiting for!! Thank you!!

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Morgan Smuck, this is AMAZING news indeed and has totally made our team's day! Gone will be the days of breaking up dashboard back-end sheets to avoid the 25k cell ref cap :)

I do have some feedback/questions. Are we to take the Community forums as the central place of seeing any updates to Smartsheet? In the past it seems like we would receive more emails informing us of these changes and other things - for example, I only just now saw this forum post. There was also an Automation update that went live today (emails now being sent by the creator/user, not "Smartsheet Automations") that I was never informed about, yet another member of my team received an email from a Senior Product Manager, Automated Workflows last week about it. There was also a Premium Applications Webinar email sent by our account's Customer Success Manager as well as a follow-up after it, neither of which I received. I'm a a SysAdmin on our Enterprise account. I'm hoping it's a simple case of there being some sort of master distribution list that I've accidentally removed myself? Thanks so much for any insight you can provide!

• Morgan Kozol
    Morgan Kozol Employee
    edited 04/17/20

Hello @Jaye Tatone , thank you for your comment! So happy to hear you and your team are as excited about this release as we are. We'd love to hear more about how you plan to use larger sheets in your org.

In terms of announcements for this release, there will be additional communication coming in the next few days. There was also an early advance notice email sent to sysadmins few weeks ago. Let me pass your note along to our team to see if you are still opted in to receive communication from us and I will follow up. Have a great weekend!

Update: Looks like you unsubscribed from marketing emails. If you would like to opt back in, you can fill out this form with your email address and hit "Update Preferences" to receive our marketing communications. Do not check any of the boxes. Hope this helps!

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Morgan Smuck, I appreciate the help! I am a sysadmin and checked my spam mail but didn't receive anything for the advance notice. Our Customer Success Manager was super helpful and kind enough to opt me in to his emails from now on so that base is covered.

In terms of the larger sheets, I think the increase to the cross-sheet cell references will be the most advantageous point for our analytics team. We don't seem to cap out on rows, columns, cells, or cell links but the refs are another story. Our department works with ~400 projects and ~5000 tactics per year with ~80 individuals involved across any one of them. There's a large volume of information captured for tactics in columns and it's great to be able to INDEX/MATCH, COUNTIFS, that sort of thing across many of these points especially when we go to do detailed rollup sheets for use in dashboards. When reporting on tactics we often had to split the formulas for certain metrics across multiple sheets when we needed to report off a high volume of columns. Now we can house everything in one sheet. This will totally streamline our dashboard "database" work!

• @Jaye Tatone Great! After checking internally, I still wanted to pass this form along for you to opt back in to receiving emails if you'd like: https://offers.smartsheet.com/email-preferences.html. Just enter your email address, do not select any of the boxes, and hit "Update Preferences".

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great tip, thanks @Morgan Smuck and I've done so now so hopefully will receive awesome good news stories like this in the future. Keep it up, excited to see updates like these!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/17/20

Here's what gets me...

I spent a year building up a complex workspace for my department with all kinds of tracking and super user friendly and everything else. As we grew and as we realized the need for additional metrics, we quickly realized that we were going to max out our cell links in a matter of 6 months tops. I then spent the next 5.5 months completely revamping everything so that we would have more room to grow.

Now with these updates, it would have been a couple of years at least before we maxed out and I could have focused my time on other tasks.

All the time spent, the coffee drank, the beating my head against the wall, the broken keyboards trying to figure out how to make it work... And all I really had to do was wait it out. On the bright side, now we should be good to go for decades instead of just a few years. 🤣

EDIT: Decades at least... With my archive sheets also increasing in size I think we may be able to cruise for years that number in the thousands... 🤯

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome our team discussed the same thing during our team meeting this morning. So many hours spent learning and un-learning processes on setting up metrics as we realized we'd max out throughout the year. Definitely VERY happy to see this update, but finding it difficult to forget pulling out my hair in the past 🙃

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Haha. The way I look at it... I get paid by the hour. As long as they keep depositing my check, I am not going to complain too terribly much about what I do when I am clocked in. Haha.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome so very true! Also LOVE your edit above about archive sheets increasing in size too; I hadn't even thought of that 🤯 I don't have to split archives by year (or quarters for some of them!?!?). Now that's cool.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jaye Tatone I have my archive sheets broken down alphabetically. That's 20000 A's, 20000 B's, 20000 C's, etc. I haven't done the math yet, but I am sure it is some outrageous amount of time considering we only take on at most 10 new projects per month.

🤯 is right!

• SYSPK
    SYSPK ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We had maxed out our sheets and were just barely eking by. I'm happy with this update because the sheets are much faster for me, but we have plenty of staff who are saying that they're still slow.

Any idea why? They have great internet which they're hardwired to, using chrome, have tried logging out and back in, etc..