Smartsheet not saving consistently

JWattz
JWattz ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have multiple Smartsheets this has happened to, although I save and make sure prior to closing the SS it has been saved, and triple-check by the "save" icon being "shaded" prior to closing the SS. From time to time when I return to a given Smartsheet, data I added or changed is missing, did not take. This doesn't happen all the time, but more frequently than it should. Unfortunately it's challenging to back-track and remember what was added or changed affecting the efficiency of the sheets! Does anyone else experience this problem? Asking a colleague of mine, it occurs for that person as well. Any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What are the chances two or more people are entering data at the same time?

If you and I open the same sheet and start typing on the next available row (which would be the same row number for both of us) but then I save my data and leave the sheet while you are still in it... If you don't refresh your sheet to populate my data before you save yours and realize that we were typing in the same row, then when you save, it will overwrite my data.

Does that make sense how that could happen? Is that a possibility?

• JWattz
    JWattz ✭✭

Hi Paul, that is a really good point and absolutely makes sense, unfortunately not the case. I also checked the Activity Log, nobody was in the file during or since I made the changes. Thank you for your time and quick response!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Since the overwriting is not the case, I would suggest reaching out to support as that is DEFINITELY NOT intended behavior.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Have you also checked the cell-history? That could also give some clues.

If you still can't find the cause of the issue and if you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team. Smartsheet Support Team

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Also, do you have any integrations like Zapier or something else?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• This has happened to my team too. I checked the activity log, and it does not appear there were multiple users in the sheet when the contributor's data disappeared.

Are there any insights or solutions available at this point? Is this issue under review?

Thanks,

Mike Hudnall

• Mona Singh
    Mona Singh ✭✭✭✭

HI -

I am going through something similar - Is there a way to force people to refresh if the page is inactive . This is extremely frustrating as i have saved and exited at the end of the day when most of my users are not in it and returned to find my cells still in the same issue. As more people get integrated into our sheets this is a challenge because of the "human error" if someone forgets to save or refresh.

• Is there an auto save feature? We are also having a problem with our work being saved.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Phyllis Cummins

Yes, there is.

More info

Settings

Auto-save settings
    • Auto-save after 3 minute of inactivity: Select this option to have Smartsheet automatically save any edits on an item that you have open as long as you haven't clicked or typed anywhere within the Smartsheet window for 3 minutes.
    • Auto-save my changes when I leave a sheet or report: Select this option to have Smartsheet automatically save any edits when you leave a sheet, report, or dashboard.

• NOTE: You can't undo saved actions.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• HI , I have the same issue with data not being saved even after i press the save button , also schedule links not updating themselves after I change dates .. its very frustrating and cannot really recommend this to my company any longer.................

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Constantin Hapau

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

Have you tried in incognito/private mode or in another browser?

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• I am also experiencing this issue, have done a few times over. No other user in the sheet I am working on.

• RGarrels
    RGarrels ✭✭✭✭

I am also having this issue on one single sheet of the MANY my team uses on a daily basis.

I have even tried completely re-making the sheet from scratch and it let me save once, but now is having the same issue.

I did reach out to Smartsheet help but after days of trouble shooting with them and checking all their suggestions, no resolution was found- that was how I ended up making the completely new sheet. Now that the new sheet is having the same issue I am at a loss!!

• CLS
    CLS ✭✭

I have had this problem several times and have contacted support. A year ago I had a sheet that I lost multiple changes and I called support. I was told by support that since there is no history, I must not have been in the sheet. Completely UNACCEPTABLE. I created a new sheet (I did not copy the existing sheet). It's been a year and I opened the sheet last week and my last 4 weeks of changes were missing! Again, no history that I was even in the sheet!!! I use this to track weekly meeting notes, and I am the only editor. I have this open on Zoom meetings, so others see me make edits and changes. I have exported the sheet to Excel and am now going to use Excel going forward. I'm not confident with support, since they said I wasn't in it to begin with.