How to Capture 1st Child to Change?

SYSPK
SYSPK ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have child rows that will change status colors. Once it changes, it remains that color. I'd like to find out which child changed first. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @SYSPK

You could check the Cell History manually for any of the updated cells to compare dates for when the change was made, but currently there is no way to return that cell history in the actual grid of the sheet (please submit an Enhancement Request for this!).

Another option would be to put a Modified Date system column in your sheet, if no other changes will happen for the row after the status shifts. Then with that Modified date, you could have a formula point out which one changed first... but again, this would only work if the status was the only element changing for those rows. Modified Date columns will update as soon as any modification was made to the row.

Or, there may be a different way to do this using a third party tool like Zapier.

• SYSPK
    SYSPK ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @Andrée Starå that works! It's a lot of work to set up but will give the results.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SYSPK

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Yes, it's a little work, but depending on other workflows, you could reuse it for them.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!