Unable to select data range for a dashboard chart

Options
Paul Grim
Paul Grim ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 05/27/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to insert a chart on a dashboard, using a report as the data source. However, when I select the report it does not allow me to select the data range I want (it defaults to select the entire report). What's more, it won't even let me click on the "OK" button! See screen shot:

I have even tried adding a report that already exists in a chart widget on another dashboard to a new chart widget in my new dashboard, but Smartsheet won't allow me. It won't even let me edit an existing chart widget's data range! (i.e. a chart I had previously added to another dashboard.)

I've tried clearing my browser cache, tried using both Firefox and Chrome, and even rebooted my laptop. Nope, still doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Smartsheet Certified Product User

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Charts must reference the entire report. You cannot select a range within a report for a chart.

• Paul Grim
    Paul Grim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fair enough... but then why can't I click on "OK" to use the entire report as the range?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Paul Grim

Sometimes when selecting a Report for a Chart widget you need to click on the name of the Report twice to confirm you do want to select it. Please try clicking on the name again, to see if the blue box will recognize your data the second time!

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Paul Grim
    Paul Grim ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/27/20
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P

It seems to be very glitchy. I finally got it to work, but there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it. I can double-click or triple-click without the "OK" button being activated, then all of a sudden it will just activate without warning. It also seems to help sometimes to click on another data source then click back on the desired data source. But even that doesn't always work.

Maybe this is something the Support team needs to take a look at? I'm using Firefox (76.0.1 64-bit), but it happens in Chrome too (Version 83.0.4103.61 Official Build 32-bit).

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wonder if it is actually a timing thing. I know that when building cross sheet references you can select a range before the sheet fully loads on the back end causing the selection to revert back to the home cell of the reference sheet. I wonder if it is more along the lines of waiting for the report to fully load on the back end before the OK button can be selected?

• Paul Grim
    Paul Grim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome

I just tested and it definitely appears to be a glitch, possibly browser-related. When I select the data source the "OK" button will flash blue briefly then immediately dim. Same thing when I switch to a different data source. Getting it to stay blue seems to be a matter of sheer luck and/or timing. Clicking and then waiting didn't make a lick of difference - just a gray dimmed out "OK" button staring back at me, taunting me to try again. If I discover the magic sequence of moves that works every time I'll let you know!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well that's certainly frustrating. I would suggest reaching out to Support. Even though it seems to be consistent in that you and @Genevieve P are both experiencing it, it doesn't seem like that would be intended. There is always the possibility that no one ever reported it, so Support doesn't know that it needs fixing.

• Paul Grim
    Paul Grim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I've previously had similar weird things happen in Chrome (disappearing menu icons, disabled options, etc.), so I switched over to Firefox which (surprisingly) alleviated most of those issues, but this particular issue seems to be browser agnostic. I'll see what Support thinks.

Thanks!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Haha. I actually have the least amount of "buggy problems" when using Chrome vs other browsers.

Welcome to Smartsheet. Hahaha.

@Genevieve P Don't take that personally. Haha

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hahaha! Not taken personally at all.

I am currently on Chrome... but yes, @Paul Grim please do contact Support when you have a moment.

It's one of those things I've just worked with and have never thought to actually bring up to Support myself. If this is a consistent bug it would definitely be good to have it reported; thank you!

• William
    William ✭✭
    Options

I'm having same issue on this chrome 83.0 suddently but no issue at all on firefox.

After some troubleshooting, it is cause by exntension/plug -in.

I have enable one of the plug-in "Enable Right Click". It resume normal on Chrome 83.0 after I disable the plug in/extension

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @William

Thanks for sharing!

Which plug-in was causing the issue?

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Grim
    Paul Grim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@William Yes, please share what extension was causing the conflict. Or, I might take some time to disable/enable my own extensions one at a time to see if one of them isn't playing nicely.

• Elizabeth Aird
    Elizabeth Aird ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The original post was in May but it's July and I am having the same issue. I have always been able to select the data on a report that I wished to be produced in the graph or chart.

I am also a bit frustrated with the primary column always showing up. I don't need in the report but it seems if I hide it, it still shows up.

If this has been fixed, I am still having issues.