How do we improve formatting such as merged cells?

beatea
beatea ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

What other options do we have to format the sheet better, perhaps even in sections?

Merging some cells will help get rid of the lines and make things look better spacing wise.

Comments

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi

My advice would be try not to format a sheet in the way one would in Excel.  With Smartsheet there isn't the level of design tools available as in Excel.  I advise my delegates to think of Smartsheet more inline with a database table storage rather than a spreadsheet.  You set up columns with datatypes, the data needs to be contiguous in order for formulae and functions to work effectively. (i.e. blank lines break automatic formulae autofill and can cause issues in other functions). 

Use Dashboards to present the data from the sheets in a more pictoral way if needs be.

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer Consultant & Training Manager

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to merge cells, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

There are some tricks. Coloring and hierarchy are two. 

Would that work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• This is really sad to know that this request of adding "merging of cells" as a function to smartsheets has been requested time and time again at least since the beginning of 2015.. 5 years and this simple function is still to hard to handle.😪

How can a feature as basic (perhaps not technically) not be implemented by now?

And why can't I upvote an existing feature request? . need to sort this out if you're going to be taken seriously.