Cash Flow Forecast

Hi, Is there any way of doing a cash flow forecast/projection within Smartsheet. With most other project management software this is a built in feature. I would like to do a forecast of the monthly projected cost for the project.

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Warren,

not out of the box and not easy.

I've done this some time in the past and it required some effort. Basic concept is to have a sheet with a rolling timeframe (a little tricky to be done) which collects (cross sheet formulas) planned cost from a separate cost planning sheet with the same date structure (weeks/months...).

Of course this requires detailed ahead cost planning and if you maybe have incoming money (compensation or else) you would need to calculate with this too for cash flow.

And for the calculated numbers to be useful it requires some determination in following updated processes ;-)

Hope this gives you an idea.

Greetings

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• I need cashflow reporting from Project Plans where if a task/activity has a start/end date that spans more than a year (e.g. 3 years) to have the yearly amount in a yearly bucket.

To illustrate if a project task/activity covers 3 years and the values were: Start Date 01/03/22 and End Date of 06/30/24 with a budget of $30,000, then the annual time bucketing should be:

2022 should have $12,000, which is $1,000 per month

2023 should have $12,000, which is $1,000 per month

2024 should have $6,000, which is $1,000 per month

The above is a simple example, but this Cash Flow Reporting exists in MS-Project.

Will the Smartsheet "Add-On" of "Pivot App" accomplish this?

For more details on the MS-Project Cash Flow reporting, please Google, as MS-Project places the data into a MS-Excel Pivot Table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsMzA_kxMw

Thanks in advance.

Regards, William Kennedy

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!