How do I link a story to an epic via the Smartsheet to JIRA connector

I want to create a workflow that uses a Smartsheet form to populate a sheet that then creates relevant JIRA tickets.

I have the connector working, but I can't seem to create a new story and assign it to an existing EPIC. The Epic Name and Epic/Theme fields don't do the trick for me and are difficult to troubleshoot.

Otherwise, everything is working well.

Answers

• Hi Mike,

To establish the relationship between stories and epics in Jira when creating new issues from Smartsheet, you'll want to use the "Epic Link" field from Jira. You can read more about the Epic Link field here (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/epic-name-vs-epic-link-779158632.html).

To do this, you'll want to make sure the Epic Link field is mapped in your workflow. Then when creating new stories, you can define the Epic Link value you would like to use to set a parent epic for issues in Jira.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Nathan L.

• Thanks Nathan.

I've seen the "Epic Link" field documented, but it is not available as a mapping field for me.

I have Epic Name and Epic/Theme but not Epic Link.

I wonder if the connector changed recently? If not, any reason why I would not see it?

For now, I've created an automation rule on the Jira side to auto assign my tickets to a certain Epic. It's not ideal, but it works.

Thanks, Mike

• Kala
    Kala ✭✭

I have the Epic Link field as a column in my smartsheet. But that will not have data until the Epic is created in Jira and synched, right? Is there a way to create Epic and its child user story in the same run?