Link Reference Sheet Dropdown

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Erik Jensen

Hi Erik,

Another possible workaround, and a solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Data Uploader.

Is that an option?

More info: 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• This does seem like something that should be part of Smartsheet already.

• Jared Davis
    Jared Davis ✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/03/20

I agree with @Erik Jensen. Our company has multiple projects with hundreds of people on site. I want each project team to maintain a contact list for their site. When someone is doing a safety inspection of that site, they fill out a webform and assign the issue to someone. That form field should should be pulled from the contact list pertaining to only that project. There needs to be a way for the dropdown options to reference data elsewhere...

By the way, These inspection forms are filled out on people's phones...

• I am evaluating this platform and agree that this is a pretty basic requirement. How do you relate information without foreign keys (drop downs lists from another smartsheet)?

• Resonating Phil's question, Is it possible to achieve this ? We are trying to manage a machine master sheet, and reference machine name/id in another sheet via a dropdown

• Nick Jarvis
    edited 08/19/20

I've been reading all the threads on this and I didn't like any of the workarounds for various reasons, but I finally found it!

There's an app built just for this issue: https://dropdown.anvil.app/

Thank goodness. I was legit looking an not switching everything over to smartsheet just because of this lack of feature alone. Problem solved.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Nick Jarvis

Thanks for posting your solution! I removed out the detail on cost as it could be seen as promotional, which actually goes against our Community guidelines (see here). Interested members can visit the third party's website to find out more information.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Community Moderator

• steve brown
    steve brown ✭✭✭

Erik - Its a year later - has smartsheet updated? You are right, it's a must.

• This is a capability that really needs to be implemented. By having drop-down lists from forms reference data from another sheet we wouldnt have to update the options from each individual form, but rather a separate centralized sheet. This can serve as input validation, preventing users from having to enter data manually when the correct options are not available.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/24/21

@Andrée Starå - This is a nice workaround, unfortunately you can't copy and paste the link down and must recreate however many times you think the user will need to make a selection.

Are there any new options at this time?

We have a list of 530+ items that we'd like to select from on a different sheet.

(I am an Enterprise user/admin. We have Dynamic View & Data Mesh but currently do not have Data Shuttle/Uploader.)

ETA: The user might add a new item to the sheet rather than select from list. The new item will NOT update the selection sheet. The original list may shrink or grow at any time not related to this process.

Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ker9

I hope you're well and safe!

Thanks!

I recently developed a solution using Data Shuttle, where I synced a master dropdown list with other sheets.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå - Hi Andree,

Unfortunately, we do not have Data Shuttle at this time, however, they are considering it.

Thank you for your reply.

Best wishes

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/25/21

@ker9

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå - unfortunately, we will not be getting data shuttle.

Other ideas welcomed but may have to move to SharePoint.

• Jay Gee
    Jay Gee ✭✭

Hi All,

Is there an official enhancement request in for this? My company has gone full in on Smartsheet and to find out this functionality doesn't exist is pretty disappointing. We have a master sheet of critical systems for all sorts of audit requirements and many other sheets that have to reference this list for associated forms and data tracking. We need to be able to use these master sheets to generate drop down lists in other sheets.

I hope there is at least some progress being made on this, as based on all the responses this is a high demand feature request. Thanks for reading!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!