Auto fill a second column based on a drop down selection using a form

2»

Comments

• Andree, That works! but not for the purpose I intended. I am trying to select from the drop down list (column3) of numbers and have it automatically populate the text (column2) on a separate sheet. for example, If I drop down and choose 10270 then the cell next to it auto populates Access Flooring. Is there any way to do this?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bradley Casado

Yes, you'd need to change the range and the column to fetch and where it should look for a match.

Let me know if you need any assistance!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I am also having a hard time getting this to work. I have an employee list sheet and I would like that when a name is put in that it automatically fills out the phone number and email. I have a separate sheet with the colums User, Office, ext, Cell, and email. and idea on how I can make a dropdown menu with all the employee names auto fill the rest of the cells to match? Also is there a way to make a form sheet do that too?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Brandon Der

I'd be happy to take a quick look!

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Could this work in a form?

• Hi!

I am trying to create a form with two dropdown fields; the values in the second dropdown depend on the selection in the first dropdown and both field values are in columns in a sheet.

The first dropdown is for project lead - this is a text field with about 10 names listed. When the user selects a name, the second dropdown list is populated with all projects that that project lead is leading. In the sheet, I have one column (A) listing the names of PMs and a second column (B) listing the Project Names.

Project Lead - [select a value from the dropdown]

Project Name - [select a value from the dropdown]

For example, in the form, if the user selects "Rick" in the Project Lead dropdown, the form should pull all project names from column B where the value is "Rick" in column A and displays those project names in the form for the user to select from in the second dropdown.

Is it possible to do this and if yes, how do I get this functionality.

TIA,

Prabita

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 10/27/21

Hi @Prabita Chandran

This currently isn't possible to configure in a Smartsheet form - please submit your feedback and suggestion to our Product team by filling out this form, here!

For the current way that Smartsheet works, you would want to have 10 separate columns, each identifying the Project Names for a specific Lead. Then you can have the field appear that's associated with the correct Lead in your Form.

In the underlying sheet, you could hide these 10 columns and instead have one final column showing that uses a formula to check the 10 fields and bring back the selections made.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I know this thread is a bit old at this point, but I'm trying to do something similar, except I would like it to return the values in columns 1-3 on my reference sheet.

This is the formula I have currently:

=INDEX({Selected Cells on Reference Sheet}, MATCH("Specific Phrase", [Column on current sheet]@row, 0), 1)

It successfully pulls the first value in my range, but I'm having trouble getting it to pull all 3 numbers (even with AI help). Anyone know how to do this?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @MeganL

Are you looking to add these values together into one cell? If so, I would suggest using a helper column in your source sheet to join all 3 values then reference the helper column in your INDEX(MATCH instead:

=INDEX({Helper Joined Column}, MATCH("Specific Phrase", [Column on current sheet]@row, 0), 1)

Another option would be to add 3 INDEX(MATCH formulas together:

=INDEX({Column 1 reference}, MATCH("Specific Phrase", [Column on current sheet]@row, 0), 1) + " / " + INDEX({Column 2 reference}, MATCH("Specific Phrase", [Column on current sheet]@row, 0), 1) + " / " + INDEX({Column 3 reference}, MATCH("Specific Phrase", [Column on current sheet]@row, 0), 1)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!