Time line display

I need to do a Gannt chart with only Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, no Secondary Heading is needed. Seems like a very common need but I'm not seeing a way to do it...thoughts on this?

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/01/20

Indeed it seems like an easy request!

Can you not have Primary heading set to Months and Secondary heading set to Weeks? This sort of works! :D

Hope this helps!😁

Debbie

• wsguerin
    wsguerin ✭✭
    edited 07/01/20

I need a timeline divorced from time!

I spoofed it using Year/Week but then Week 1 was always Jan 1. I need the project to start on Week 1 anywhere I choose in "background" time.

In context, it's for a project with very uncertain key dates due to Covid.

The start/finish entry fields will show dates but I need to hide them.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

ahhh

How about you use the default Start and Finish and Duration columns as "dummy Gannt" columns. Set the Start date to Jan 1st, which will set the Gannt headings to Week 1 etc.

Then set up 2 new columns called Actual Start Date, Actual Finish Date.

Leave the Actual Start Date to contain data

Set the Actual End Date with a formula =[Actual Start Date]@row + Duration@row

This way your Gannt Chart will use the default columns starting at Week 1 as the Start date is Jan 1st. But in all your reporting where you need to know actual dates, you have those columns available too.

Would that work?

Kind regards

Debbie

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/02/20

@wsguerin

I've mocked up my idea for you...

IGNORE THIS ONE - I am unable to delete it but I have improved it - see next one!

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wsguerin

Hi, I realised the formulas in the Actual Finish from above wouldn't accommodate working days only, so I've done it again with a better result!

The default columns of Duration Start and Finish are set to an accurate reflection of duration but a dummy start date of Jan 1st, therefore Gannt shows from Week 1.

The only data for the real date should go in [Actual Start]2.

The cell Helper1 works out the number of days between the Actual Start date and the Dummy Start date using the formula =[Actual Start]2 - Start2.

The formula in [Actual Start]3 and copied to the rest of the column is: =Start@row + [Difference from Start]$1

The cells Helper2 onwards returns just the numeric part of the duration on the row using the formula =INT(Duration@row)

The formula in [Actual Finish]2 and copied to the rest of the column is: =WORKDAY([Actual Start]@row, Helper@row)

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Debbie

• Debbie, TX I'll look this over!

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wsguerin

Sorry the following formula still has reference to a column that I changed the name of

The formula in [Actual Start]3 and copied to the rest of the column is: =Start@row + [Difference from Start]$1

Read this as:

The formula in [Actual Start]3 and copied to the rest of the column is: =Start@row + [Helper]$1