Contact List using DataMesh & Concatenate

Jennifer Murphy
Jennifer Murphy ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/29/20 in Formulas and Functions

Hi,

I have added 2 columns to a data sheet, one for Analyst Name and one for the Analyst Manager. I have brought in the email addresses of both of these by DataMesh.

I want to be able to apply a current user filter to a certain column which would enable the Analyst and their Manager to only see the rows that are applicable to them. To that end, I created a third column to concatenate the Analyst Column & Analyst Manager Column ([Analyst Name]@row+";"+[Analyst Manager]@row). But the current user filter will not work. I have also tried ([Analyst Name]@row+", "+[Analyst Manager]@row) but this also does not work.

Has anyone been able to get something similar to work or do you have any suggestions that would help me achieve my aim without implementing the third column?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Jennifer,

The formula you're using will return text, which can't be interpreted as a Contact (which is why the "current user" filter isn't working as expected.) There currently isn't a formula that brings multiple contacts into one cell and has it viewed as a contact, please submit an Enhancement Request for this!

That said, it sounds like you have both these emails already in the row. If Data Mesh is mapping these emails to a Contact type of columns, you can set up your filter to look at both columns for the Current User. Just make sure you adjust the filter to be looking for "at least one condition" instead of matching the all of the conditions:

Let me know if this works for you! If not, could you post as screen capture of how this destination sheet looks? (But please block out any sensitive data like email addresses).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi Jennifer,

The formula you're using will return text, which can't be interpreted as a Contact (which is why the "current user" filter isn't working as expected.) There currently isn't a formula that brings multiple contacts into one cell and has it viewed as a contact, please submit an Enhancement Request for this!

That said, it sounds like you have both these emails already in the row. If Data Mesh is mapping these emails to a Contact type of columns, you can set up your filter to look at both columns for the Current User. Just make sure you adjust the filter to be looking for "at least one condition" instead of matching the all of the conditions:

Let me know if this works for you! If not, could you post as screen capture of how this destination sheet looks? (But please block out any sensitive data like email addresses).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jennifer Murphy
    Jennifer Murphy ✭✭✭✭

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you so much, the solution you provided, it works wonderfully.

I will submit the enhancement request anyway as I feel it would be useful.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer

• Genevieve P.

Hi Jennifer,

That's great to hear! Glad it worked for you 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!