Dynamic View & Images

Kat Woodham
Kat Woodham ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I'm using Dynamic View to share out a product catalog to our Sales team. We've been using this setup for almost a month now and I've been asked to add product images on a row (not as an attachment). It works fine in the sheet:

But it converts to text in the DV:

Attachments aren't a great option for this because to view it you have to:

1. Click on the row.
  2. Click on Attachments in the Detail pane
  3. Click on the attachment to download it
  4. Open the download

This is too many steps for a product catalog.

Is there a way to get the images to display in Dynamic View? We're using DV because we need to be able to filter (so Reports are out) and we have a lot of administrative info for each item that we don't want to share to all users (so sheets are out).

Best Answers

• Kat Woodham
    Kat Woodham ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Closing the thread - it's unfortunately a known limitation of Dynamic View. Submit an enhancement request (link in Andree's response) to 'upvote' this functionality!

• Kat Woodham
    Kat Woodham ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@joey.w.razzano33566 - unfortunately it is a limitation of Dynamic View. I confirmed with my Smartsheet team. As you mentioned, inserting an image into a regular sheet is easy enough and it will carry over to reports & dashboards. I'm using a Dynamic View (a premium add on) to display my 'product catalog' in a grid format to my users and that's where the problem lies. I've submitted a product enhancement for displaying images in DV so fingers crossed they provide that functionality in the future.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible at the moment to show pictures in the cells, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

Yeah.. I had tried to do something similar with our system without luck. I believe the core Smartsheet platform is where the change would need to happen, not just DV.

• Kat Woodham
    Kat Woodham ✭✭✭

@Ezra - bummer but thanks for sharing. Did you find any workarounds? I've reached out to my Smartsheet rep so if I hear anything, I'll report back. I like DV for a lot of reasons but I'm finding quirks as I go and not a lot of documentation about the limitations or how to work around them.

• Kat Woodham
    Kat Woodham ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Closing the thread - it's unfortunately a known limitation of Dynamic View. Submit an enhancement request (link in Andree's response) to 'upvote' this functionality!

• @kwoodham have you tried doing this in Smartsheet Proofing in a sheet to do this? You can upload a file to a Proof, and request your Sales team to review the file. When you ask them to review a Proof, they are only given access to that single Proof, not the rest of the sheet, so it may work for your filtering needs. Here is more info: https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-advanced/proofing

• Kat Woodham
    Kat Woodham ✭✭✭

@BrianBosché - I haven't played with proofing myself but I have watched the videos. While a neat feature, I don't think that would work in our product catalog use case unless I'm missing something.

We're vetting hundreds of products across multiple suppliers for our Sales team to then quote/present to our clients. Each of my DVs has anywhere from 30-100 products and we already have 8 DVs for the different product categories. The idea is that we'd like to have the product photo inline with the product details (info is provided across 10-20 columns depending on the product type).

Then additionally, we have several more columns that are for administrative view only - hence why we're not giving them access to the product grid sheet directly. While reports would allow us to expose certain columns, we don't want to share the underlying product sheet and reports don't allow for this type of filtering (to help the Sales team find the items they are looking for in these large lists of product options):

Is there something I'm missing about proofing that would help here?

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

@kwoodham No, I haven't found any workarounds - tried storing employee photos by name, then building a url from something like:

="https://sample.com/employee/photo/"+[Last Name]@row+[First Name]@row+".png"

But it only gave me a link - not the image.

• Joey Razzano
    Joey Razzano ✭✭✭✭

Have you found out how to do this? If you select the cell and right click on it, you can "Insert an image" and upload it. Works great and I think it is what you want - to display your products visually in your sheet/database.

• Kat Woodham
    Kat Woodham ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@joey.w.razzano33566 - unfortunately it is a limitation of Dynamic View. I confirmed with my Smartsheet team. As you mentioned, inserting an image into a regular sheet is easy enough and it will carry over to reports & dashboards. I'm using a Dynamic View (a premium add on) to display my 'product catalog' in a grid format to my users and that's where the problem lies. I've submitted a product enhancement for displaying images in DV so fingers crossed they provide that functionality in the future.