Include Column Description in Update Request Form or Form to Update Existing Rows

ATilley
ATilley ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

It would be incredibly helpful if the column descriptions were included in the update request form. We will request information from users who do not have access to the sheet and likely will be unfamiliar with the type of information that should be included in the column. Forms allow help text, this should also be a feature of the update request.

If the above is not possible, you should be able to send an additional form that can update an existing row. 

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

A possible workaround could be to have some text pre-filled in the fields.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Add my vote to be able to design the update request the same as a Form (or send a form link for the row). I did create an enhancement request.

• Any update on this, since it was initially brought up a year ago? As everyone else mentioned, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to pull the column description if the other Forms can support have helper text.

• I was just trying to figure out how to do this. I'm saddened that it appears to not be possible. Add my vote to the suggested options to include column descriptions update requests and/or having the option to create a form that updates existing rows.

• Adding my comments:

+1 for the option to include column descriptions update requests.

+1 for a new type of form that can update an existing row; i.e. the option to have a fixed URL linking to a form that updates an existing row, rather than having to send update requests to do this.

What about allowing more characters in the field names? I have been using the column description to put in the entire form question when the question is too long. This way, when sending update requests, the user can see the entire question.

• Same here!

+1 for a new type of form that can update an existing row; i.e. the option to have a fixed URL linking to a form that updates an existing row, rather than having to send update requests to do this.

+ 1 for field names having more characters.

• Christina09
    Christina09 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

• +1 for the option to include column descriptions update requests.

+1 for option to allow hyperlinks within column descriptions

+1 for option to allow hyperlinks within column descriptions

• +1 for a new type of form that can update an existing row; i.e. the option to have a fixed URL linking to a form that updates an existing row, rather than having to send update requests to do this.

• Matt Kirby
    Matt Kirby ✭✭✭✭

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Paula Reynolds

Here are the Product Ideas for these individual suggestions that you can vote on, these votes will bubble up to the Product team when they're in the Product Ideas section of the Community:

Cheers,

Genevieve