Updating sheet data before copying row

Werner Gerstacker
Werner Gerstacker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 07/29/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I have an intermediate sheet with only one row that pulls the results of some calculations from my master data sheet in order create an archive entry.

This intermediate sheet has an automation set up to copy the row into my archive sheet at a certain day and time every week, i.e. it extends the archive with a snapshot every time.

But it seems like the intermediate sheet does not get refreshed with the latest values before the row is copied into the archive because it only updates when I open, not when I run the automation.

Is there anything I can do about this?

It defeats the purpose of a timed automation if I have to open the intermediate sheet anyway just before the automation is run so that I can ensure I actually have a snapshot of the latest data in my archive, not the status of when the intermediate sheet was last opened a day ago.

The cell history shows the value that was copied from the intermediate sheet to the archive at the very bottom, but the latest value in the master sheet had actually changed more than a dozen times since then.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Werner Gerstacker
    Werner Gerstacker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Paul Newcome and everybody else who is interested.

Smartsheet Support suggested the following approach:

Locking and unlocking the sheet will trigger an update of the formula in my interim spreadsheet.

I tried this and it seems to work fine - with one exception:

I needed to move the lock & unlock actions into two separate automations (with the lock one running first) because Smartsheet doesn't seem to adhere to the sequences as mapped above; it will basically do all three actions at the same time

This might result in the alert being sent before the lock/unlock, i.e. the alert is sent (or in my real case: the row is copied) before the action that triggers the update is carried out, and/or the 'Lock rows' action is carried out last, leaving my sheet in a locked state at the end of the automation.

Due to the granularity of the trigger, i.e it can only be run at the full hour, splitting the lock/unlock actions will result in my sheet being locked for an hour, but that's still better than having yesterday's or last week's values in the archive.

Answers