Need Workaround Ideas for Automation Condition

Gil Nash
Gil Nash ✭✭
edited 07/27/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Client submits file through form.

I have an automation set up to respond to client when new file w/response is attached to row and "Status" and "Date" cells @row are populated. It works as intended but relies on people to always set those 2 fields and save before attaching the file to the row.

Without the conditions set, the client gets an automatic reply with the file they just submitted as a response.

I tried changing the trigger to "When rows are added" when a file is attached for the incoming automation and "When rows are changed" when a file is attached as the outgoing automation but that didn't work.

Ideally, I would like to create a checkbox that automatically checks when the submission is older than 10 minutes but I've yet to find a way to do this in SS. I am able to write a formula to do this with Days but need something that would also work if being responded to on the same day which is where I run into a wall.

I'm looking for any kind of suggestion of a way to check a box without any input from our internal user or myself but have yet to find anything. It doesn't have to be time related, it just seemed to be the most obvious.

Thanks in advance

Gil

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Gil,

Where this gets a bit tricky is the attachment - if you're wanting the alert to send the attachment in the email then the trigger for the alert needs to be based on the new attachment being added. It sounds like your first option is actually the best way to go, ensuring that those two other fields are saved before attaching the new file.

There currently isn't a Time function that's able to recognize minutes as you found, either in a formula or automation (please submit an Enhancement Request for this!)

I might be misunderstanding the process though - would you be able to post a screen capture of your sheet, outlining what the original submission is, what the users are updating, and a screen capture of your current workflow? (But please block out any sensitive data).

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Gil Nash
    Gil Nash ✭✭
    edited 07/30/20

@Genevieve P

You're understanding the process well enough from the sound of it and I've submitted an Enhancement Request for it.

I think I'm just out of luck until TIME becomes accessible.

If only I could make 40/50 people do everything in proper order every time...🙄

Appreciate the response though.