Workflow Copying - Entire Columns

Hello Experts,

I am writing a workflow to copy and paste a particular Column value from 1 sheet to another sheet. However, the workflow is copying the entire column details from the spreadsheet.

Answers

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Could you explain what the workflow you are using is a bit more and if possible attach a screenshot of it.

Michael

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. I am using "Copy rows to another sheet" workflow.

I require 1 column named "Organization ID' values to be copied from 1 sheet to another sheet. I have attached screenshot of the workflow I created.

However, the workflow is coping other columns to the target sheet

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, using copy rows will take the entire row with all the columns associated and move it to the new sheet. Sadly at this time we can't just take individual cell in a rows and just copy that. Can I ask what the goal of this is exactly, like why do you just need that one cell moved over? If I know that a bit more I might be able to help with an alternate solution.

Thank you

Michael

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out.

I need to copy Individual Column and NOT Cells. I want to make sure you are clear on that part.

Actually I need to copy multiple columns, may be around 5 columns in a sheet and that is is having 14 columns. Those 5 columns are in different places, say Column 6, Column 9, Column 10, Column 12 & 13.

To start with I tested with 1 Column, but it started to capture the entire columns. Also, 1st wrote workflow to capture those 5 columns I am looking for and it didn't worked and started again with only 1 column

I need to make multiple formulas to arrive different values based on client Input. Example - Course Assignment Date is a column I will be getting data from system, I will be using this Assignment Date value and will convert to Assignment Month, Assignment Week in a Year and Assignment week in a Month.

Initially I made all these formula in the target sheet itself. However, I am using Data uploader to dynamically replace all of the values in the target sheet and its wiping out all of my formulas.

So, I tried this approach by using a workflow to safely copy the data I required.

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you just copy and paste?

Michael

• Hi Michael,

If I Need to just Copy and Paste. Particular Cell which I require, again I am using REPLACE option to generate data from Data uploader, I may not get the data updated. Already I tried using CELL LINKING even that doesn't work properly.

Copy and Paste will NOT give desired results.

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

What if you generate a unique ID for each row of the original, copy and paste that with the data associated, then you a vlookup (or datamesh) based on that unique id to keep the values updated?

Michael

• It is not easy to do. Basically I am brining employee training status details with same employee brining multiple line Items. Also the challenge is, using formula's will not refresh the values automatically. As I mentioned target data receiving in the sheet is replaced. I am working to fix that with another support person in community.

Coming back to square 1 - Why does workflow is capturing the entire columns in the sheet. When I am selecting only column in workflow to copy ? Is it a product defect ?. Brining Unique ID and such as EE number and making a formula to capture other columns based on EE number is not working. Due to replacement of actual values. It will get errored out

To avoid this, I simply using CELL LINKING, again cell linking is not getting updated. I need to look for an alternative from Data uploader option avoid REPLACEMENT

Failing in 1st 2 options. I picked WORKFLOW. That also failed me in this case.

• I am trying to do this as well.

Currently, what I would like to do, is take a user's request for a product; that will take the most basic information needed. That data would be in one data sheet with no other information.

Once that intake form is submitted; I would like to take the Product name that was entered in; and have that populate the corresponding column in a different sheet (this will start the internal process and assignment information of who will be handling the request).

When I did this, the whole row's information was copied over to the sheet. It did recognize that Column from the intake sheet was the same as the column for the internal assignment sheet and put the information in there; so that was good. But it also added all the other information that wasn't needed. Preferably, I would like for the Product Name & the link to the Intake sheet in the Assignment sheet.

• Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for the Information. Let me try your suggestion

• Rachael Stammers
    Rachael Stammers ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I want to do similar, I want to copy information from certain columns in one sheet, to another. And when additional forms are submitted and a new row created, have that added to the new sheet. Alyssa, Tamizamuthan, did you find a solution? I don't know how to write the formula for VLOOKUP....

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Rachael Stammers

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.