How can I count distinct values under a same month?

Hi everyone,

I currently have a data set for which I would like to count all unique values that are under a same month and a same year. For example, the following table shows two duplicate values (TR ID's) on two different dates. In this case I would only like to count the unique TR ID's for the month of August, 2020 (which should be 6):

I have been trying to use the =COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT(.....))) expression, however, it returns "1", when it should count "6".

Thanks in advance,

Carolina

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try something like this...

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT([TR ID]:[TR ID], Date:Date, AND(IFERROR(MONTH(@cell), 0) = 8, IFERROR(YEAR(@cell), 0) = 2020))

• Hi Paul, I tried re-creating this formula for my purposes and I'm getting an "#unparseable" when I adjust the equation for my needs. The following formula should return "2":

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT([Patient number]1:[Patient number]3, [Dosing date]1:[Dosing date]3, AND(IFERROR(MONTH(@row),0) = 1, IFERROR(YEAR(@row),0) = 2022))))

Can you point out what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @AHANSON

Instead of using @row inside of your MONTH and YEAR functions, you'll want to use @cell.

Try:

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT([Patient number]1:[Patient number]3, [Dosing date]1:[Dosing date]3, AND(IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0) = 1, IFERROR(YEAR(@cell),0) = 2022))))

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!