Formula help - how to leave blank when Actual Finish is empty

Can someone help complete this formula? - looking for the 'Task Health' column to be empty when Actual Finish is blank, meaning task is not complete yet. Everything I've tried is either unparseable or results in a value.

=IF([Actual Finish]@row > [Planned Finish]@row, "Late",

IF([Actual Finish]@row = [Planned Finish]@row, "On Time",

IF([Actual Finish]@row < [Planned Finish]@row, "Early", "")))

Tags:

Best Answers

Answers

• Heather Bell
    Heather Bell ✭✭
    edited 09/11/20

That worked perfectly - thank you @Andrée Starå

you said, "Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.' Can you further explain the logic behind the semi colon, comma, period and what works in the formula? the semi-colon is in quotes and then also not in quotes.

Want to make sure I understand how to apply in the future to other needs.

Many thanks for the assist!

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Heather Bell

The thing about semi colon and comma is that all smartsheet versions doesn't exactly works the same depending of your region.

As a french guy for example, my version requires semi colon, to separates values, ranges, within functions. But lurking around here quite often and typing function in the Us type is now leading me into small trouble as I've taken the habit to separates values within functions with commas instead of semi colon. And each time that happens, the formula returns me an #UNPARSEABLE error :D

That's just what Andree's meaning here.

Also, notes that Andree didn't put semi colon within quotes in his formula. The first one is between two double quotes. Double quotes is equal BLANK cell for smartsheet.

Hope it helped!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!