IF formula with single select dropdown

Joelle Roehl
Joelle Roehl ✭✭✭
edited 09/16/20 in Formulas and Functions

I could use some help with the IF formula when trying to add a value to a single-select drop down.

I am using percentage to track a customers completion of our program. I have a column labeled "Sleep Study" with the drop down options of Required, Not Required, Complete - records requested, Complete - records received.

When the option "Required" is selected, I want it to subtract from the total percentage, so I assign it as a negative number using the IF formula. From what I've read on other's similar issues, I should be using the formula: =IF(Sleep Study = "Required", -0.1) but it comes back as Unparseable. I also tried =IF(Sleep Study = "Required"@row, -0.1) as some of our other formulas require the row, but that doesn't work either. I don't need any of the other drop down options to contribute to the percentage.

Thanks!

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Joelle Roehl,

would you mind sharing (personal data removed) a screenshot?

In your formula, there are a couple of syntax failures, but I'd like to know how the % of completion is tracked/entered/calculated?

If you enter % in the column manually, you cannot use a formula in there because you would delete it once entering data. If you use a formula to generate the %, then the part for subtracting 10% for the sleep study should look like this:

if([Sleep Study]@row = "Required", -0.1, )

Column names in formulas need to be in brackets if they contain spaces or special characters, @row tells the formula where to look at (same row but column "Sleep Study") for a defined value.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!