Is it possible to delay the automation of moving a row to a different sheet?

Hi everyone,

I am working on a SmartSheet project where I have set up an automated workflow that will move a row to a different sheet once the status reaches 100%. However, I was wondering it is possible to delay the automation of moving a row to a different sheet by a given time period?

Thank you!

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

You could change the trigger from "Run Workflow: When Triggered" to Hourly, Daily, or Weekly. This will add a delay from when the item hits 100% to when the automation checks the sheet again to move the rows. If you do it once per day, you'll batch process all of the rows with 100% at once, instead of when they hit 100%.

Do you think this would work?

• Hong Chon Ng Fang
    edited 09/15/20

Thanks for your responde! It didn't work, though. I got the following error message:

Is there a workaround for this issue? Also, would it be possible to set it up so that you can trigger this biweekly?

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

Sorry about that. I wasn't aware of that restriction.

At this point, I think your only option might be to a checkbox column for "approval" and make the Move Row contingent on that box being checked to move the row. You would just add the condition of Checkbox is checked after your trigger. It's not a perfect solution, but I'm not sure I can think of anything else based on this information.

I don't think bi-weekly is an option.

• Thank you David!

Also, Paul I am trying to set up a 2 week delay.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you currently track the date on the sheet that the row is updated to 100%? If not, that will be the first step. There are a couple of different ways this can be done depending on your needs. Would it work to have the date manually entered, or would you prefer that it is automatically tracked (involves setting up a second sheet, ensuring there is a unique ID per row, an additional automation, and formulas with cross sheet references).

Once you have that part established, the most reliable way that I can think of would be to add an additional date type column (it can be hidden to keep the sheet looking clean) that uses a basic formula to generate a date that is 14 days later and then have your move row automation set up to run based on that column.