Gantt charts and Dashboards

nisdude
nisdude
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi.  new here to the forum; recently created a Smartsheet Gantt chart and subsequently integrated it into a Smartsheet Dashboard.

Looks great except --- I seem to have lost my indentation of my subtasks under a parent task, and that makes reading the results a lot more difficult.

The other thing that I'd love to do is to be able to have task bars in the Gantt chart show partial color in the dashboard if they aren't 100% complete.  I don't imagine there's much hope for that right now.

The dashboard could use a lot more enhancing for customizing the look, but it does work and I'm relatively happy with it.

Indentation is an issue.  Anyone know how to fix this?

thanks

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Are you using a report widget in the Dashboard? There is a way to see the hierarchy in a report. Another option would be to use the web content widget and paste the published sheet link.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

Regarding the Gantt taskbar. It's possible already.

More info: https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-advanced/gantt-chart-dependencies

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree

Thanks for writing back.  I created a Gantt chart (sample attached), then created a report from that (attached), then embedded that into a Dashboard (attached).  As you can see, I lost the indentation of the task name somewhere along the line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

original indented gantt.png

indented dashboard sample.png

indented report sample.png

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

That's by design!

It's the way the reports work. It can't show the indentation because it can show multiple rows from different sections of a sheet or multiple sheets.

You could either use the report and include another column to show the hierarchy structure (Level 1, Level2 and so on)

Another option could be to use the web widget function and embed the sheet instead and then the indentation would work just as in the sheet.

Would any of those options work?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Interim solution:

Create new field "Task Level"

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(ANCESTORS(Task@row), 6)), IF(ISERROR(INDEX(ANCESTORS(Task@row), 5)), IF(ISERROR(INDEX(ANCESTORS(Task@row), 4)), IF(ISERROR(INDEX(ANCESTORS(Task@row), 3)), IF(ISERROR(INDEX(ANCESTORS(Task@row), 2)), IF(ISERROR(INDEX(ANCESTORS(Task@row), 1)), 1, 2), 3), 4), 5), 6), 7)

Create new field "Project Tasks"

=IF([Task Level]@row = 1, MID(Task@row, 6, LEN(Task@row) - 5), IF([Task Level]@row = 2, "► " + Task@row, IF([Task Level]@row = 3, "→ " + Task@row, IF([Task Level]@row = 4, "―→ " + Task@row, IF([Task Level]@row = 5, "――→ " + Task@row, IF([Task Level]@row = 6, "―――→ " + Task@row, "――――→ " + Task@row))))))

Notes:

Since Smartsheet reduces serial blanks to just one blank, a filler must be used. In this case, I used"―"

If your project has more than seven levels add to the formula.

• cvarela
    cvarela ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/23

Marino, can you please provide more detail on how you used these formulas? I am trying to replicate and am not successful.