Dynamic View and calculated fields

Andy H
Andy H ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I am currently setting up a status workstream tracking process using a combination of Smartsheet and Dynamic View.

The Smartsheet tracker uses the WEEKNUMBER of the Created By date to show the 'Update Week', ie the week the update was entered, and WEEKNUMBER(TODAY()) to show the current week, in the following extract from the Smartsheet the 'Update Week' is 35 and the 'Current Week' is 39.

My plan is for workstream owners to only add updates via Dynamic View so I wanted them to be able to update existing information while it is still 'live' in the current week, and add new updates when the week changes. To do this I display the 'Update Week' and 'Current Week' in Dynamic View as shown in the following, the problem is the 'Current Week' appears as the week the entry was originally made, not the current week shown in the underlying sheet.

Am I doing something wrong, or is Dynamic View not actually updating dynamically?

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andy H

What happens if you open the sheet and save? Does the weeks update on the Dynamic?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andy H
    Andy H ✭✭✭

Hi Andrée,

Thanks for your super-fast reply.

If you add a new entry via Dynamic View, which is updating the underlying sheet, it does (same thing I guess). The problem is I want the contributors to only use DV so they won't be looking at the underlying sheet, I was hoping that the information they see would show them whether they need to add a new update.

I've added conditional formatting to the 'Update Week' column in the sheet so it changes to red if it's not the current week. Unfortunately I don't think this will change in DV unless the underlying sheet is open/saved etc. Guess I'll have to wait until next working week to check.

Andy

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/24/20

@Andy H

Happy to help!

Yes, the sheet has to be opened/changed for the TODAY formula to trigger, so everything is updated. There are some workarounds to make it work, but at the moment (because of Engage next week), I would recommend keeping it simple and adding a Daily Update request where you change a value, so the sheet is updated.

Would that work/help?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andy H
    Andy H ✭✭✭

Thanks Andrée,

That's definitely something I can consider.

All the Best,

Andy