Dropdown list - Update from the dev team ?

p_bureau
p_bureau
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi everyone,

TL;DR : When will we be able to have dynamic dropdown for a column / field in a form? Is there a workaround? I can't think of a single project where this CAN'T be used...

I'm using Smartsheet more and more to provide simple solutions to my clients regarding their work (finance, managing team, project...).

I have recently proposed a fairly simple set of sheets/dashboard to someone who wanted to:

• schedule projects with a deadline and a budget
  • ask his team to fill hours spent on each project every day (with a form). I want the form to have a drowdown list with the actual list of projects
  • track KPIs every week for every project and every member of his team.

So there is one sheet for every project (with a budget, starting date, end date ....), and a sheet to collect data from the form.

Now, how can I explain to this customer that I can't update the dropdown list of the form with the project sheet ?? I'm waiting for him to ask me something in Excel ...

Could the Smartsheet team give us some news about this feature ? Do you guys have a good workaround?

Thanks and sorry for my english!

Paul.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi P B. 

What you describe within your requirements is absolute common sense and much needed by SS users. 

We would all like to know if this will be released as part of the standard license rather than only for those paying for Control Center which is out of most peoples budgets. 

Our Dev team have Bespoke solutions using Appsheet Or  Smartsheet API so if you would like a bespoke solution designed for your Dropdowns and possibly some other automation, let me know when you are available for a conference call? 

I am in the UK on London time available office hours. 

Hope that gives you inspiration? 

Richardr@smarterbusinessprocesses.com 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This might help!

Here is a workaround that gives you the possibility to use lists of information and choose from that list inside a sheet (doesn't work with mobile, only desktop)

I'm utilizing cell-linking for this workaround. The main sheet is linked to the dropdown/list sheet.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

Example of dropdown/list

I hope this can be helpful for you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

This is a nice work around. Any suggestions for how to keep the cell linking when incorporating a form to the sheet. Cell linking doesnt appear to follow auto formatting rules so if a new row is added by a form there is now way to keep the cell link "double click" work around you mentioned. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to cell link from a new row (like a form submission). The linked cells has to be populated to be able to cell link.

A possible workaround could be to create the cell links and when there is a new form submission you could copy that rows information to an already cell linked row.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Michael Bull
    Michael Bull ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/20

Hello Andree, can you provide a code or snapshot in a comment? I have no access from my business network to the shared files on dropbox. Thanks, Mike B

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/07/20

Hi @Michael Bull

It's a GIF and it doesn't seem that I can share it here.

How can I share it with you?

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Michael Bull
    Michael Bull ✭✭✭✭

Hello Andree, I managed to open the GIF and I get the idea and this seems rather clever. But I still cannot figure out what you actually did.

So effectively you have a cell in your "destination sheet" (where you need to select and where you need the info) being linked to a "source sheet" where you make the selection. The idea seems rather clever (in the absence of a working active dropdown menu) but for the life of it I cannot figure out how you set it up.

Thanks for your input. Rgds, Mike B

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Michael Bull

I'd be happy to share more info/details in a pdf. 

Please send me an email at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.