Importing Data to a template

I have created a template and copied data from a report and my formulas are gone after data is pasted. But the old template formulas show after the imported data. How do I keep my formulas there after imported data. Before importing data from the report I added identical columns into the report to "line up" with the columns in my template.

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Austin Bell

If you paste cells as a range, they will overwrite everything in that range when pasted.

One way to solve this is to move the columns that have formulas in to the right of the range you are about to paste so they are out of the way.

So for example let's say you have columns A, B, C, and D and you have a formula in column C. If you past 4 columns into this range, you will overwrite the formulas in column C. Your best bet is to move column C to the far right (so you have A, B, D, C) and then assuming your report you are copying from has columns A, B, and D. You can then copy and past safely.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/19/20

Hi @Austin Bell

To add to Ramzi's excellent advice.

Another option could be to use a so-called helper sheet (import sheet).

You'd paste the information into the Import Sheet, and then it's connected to the main sheet with cross-sheet formulas to collect the data as needed.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Good Morning @Ramzi K,

Thank you for your post and I will try that.

@Andrée Starå I have never done anything with cross sheet formulas, but I will definitely look into it.

Thank you both

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Austin Bell

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.