How do I add comments in automated email alerts?

Hi all,

I've been working with my sheet on sending automated emails to contacts within the sheet and can add specific parameters for what is in a cell. However, I can't figure out how I can display the comments in the email without having a link to the form. The reason I don't want a link to the form is because these emails are being sent externally.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Aravind GP
    Aravind GP ✭✭✭

Hi,

I believe you are referring to the Sheet link which goes on each automated email. You can set up alert workflow instead of Update Request to not send the update form link. However, the downside is that there is no option for a user, that is not shared to the sheet and without a valid Smartsheet account, to add his/her comments on it.

If the intention is to just alert someone about changes in comments, the alert workflow will do that with comments shown as well. Do note that there is no option currently, to not have the link to the underlying sheet (even though the user will not be able to access it unless you've shared it with them)

Thanks,

Aravind

Thanks,

Aravind

Associate Director

Copernicus Consulting Pte. Ltd.

P: +65 9230 5657 | E: aravind@copernicusworld.com

Feel free to reach out for licenses, services, and training on Smartsheet

• MHuggs
    MHuggs ✭✭✭
    edited 11/17/20

Hi Aravind,

I'm not trying to get the link to the sheet. I'm trying to include comments (that is not a field within the sheet) added to the body of the customized message when an email is sent. I have this so only the message is shown.

I can get certain cells to appear, for example {{Issue Reference}}, but I can't find a way to add comments into this customized message.

Thanks

• MHuggs
    MHuggs ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå,

Is there an automatic way to copy the comments added to a row into the 'helper column' you've mentioned?

Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MHuggs

I haven't had time to explore in more detail, but I think it would be possible to develop a solution using the 3rd party service, Zapier or similar.

Is that an option?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is an old thread, but I recently had this need and found that adding the "latest comment" field to the sheet allows me to add the latest comment to the notifications using {{Latest Comment}}. This met our need.

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

• @Andrea Zenner - thanks for this tip! I added that but, I got a prompt saying that column was not available. Did you move the comments from the comment section to a column?

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

@TullyONeill I did not use a helper column, I just added {{Latest Comment}} in my workflow message and it worked. After adding the column to your sheet and saving, you got an error trying to add {{Latest Comment}} to your workflow? Is that correct? Can you send a screenshot of your workflow. This is what is looks like in mine.

This is what the email looks like when it is received.

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com