Document Control Using Smartsheets

Matthew Seo
Matthew Seo ✭✭
edited 09/12/23 in Show & Tell

@Chris Mondeau thank you for your help in my original post.

I thought I would re-post here for everyone else within the industry could share.

Hi Team,

I work in the construction industry as a joiner and as part my day to day, I received architectural plans.

Is there a way to set up a Smartsheet as a Document Control "Centre"? Like virtual filing cabinet.

For example, a receive one drawing titled "BR2ADA100001[D]", next week I might get an update of that drawing BR2ADA100001[E]. Is there way to upload Rev. E and by using the Document number (BR2ADA100001) and Smartsheets will automatically supersede Rev. D?

It would be awesome if I could filter "Current Drawings" where I know that I'm not looking at a old revision or even share these Current Drawings to subcontractors with a Document Transmittal. I've previously used Procore at a fit-out company but since moving to a joiner, I've been introduced to Smartsheets and would like to get the most out of it.

Any information would be amazing.

Regards,

Matt

Tags:

Comments

• Hi Matt,

Have you taken a look at the Construction Documentation Tracker template in the Solution Center? And have you explored the Attachment and Proofing functionality? Both allow for versioning control.

Does anyone in this group want to share insight into how you manage documents in Smartsheet?

Stephanie Viers, Lead Customer Success Manager - Construction

• Laura Bell
    Laura Bell ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the attachment and proofing functionality?

• @Laura Bell Great question!

Attachments let you store files from your computer or several cloud drive options (like BOX, Google Drive, etc...). You can add comments, new versions, tag people, etc...

Proofing allows you to upload an asset and then assign people to review it. They can mark up the file, add comments, and approve/deny the asset. You can continue adding new versions to go through review cycles until the asset is ready to go, and then lock the final version down.

Stephanie Viers, Lead Customer Success Manager - Construction

• Laura Bell
    Laura Bell ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you! I knew of those, I thought you were referring to something different.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Matthew Seo

Hope you are fine, i designed a full system using smartsheet for monitoring & control the drawings submittal and approval, if you like we can hold a zoom meeting to make a presentation for you and your team to check if it's serving your works.

My Email: Bassam.k@mobilproject.it

My Whatsapp: +966 530 97 3300

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Laura Bell 

Waiting for your feedback.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• BKing
    BKing ✭✭✭

We have developed a complimentary tool – APDocs. It allows you to:

Define a structured repository for your documents in Smartsheet using sheets (with reports & dashboards).

Use this template in our tool to build your document repository. This document store is built in jurisdiction, so US projects in US, EU projects in EU, etc. 

It's all serverless on AWS, so pricing is pay-per-use.. 

We leave Smartsheet to do all the tracking and workflow. APDocs does all the version control, keeps document history in a blockchain.

Documents hyperlinks maintained on Smartsheet as links, tracker reports visible within APDocs.

If that sounds of use, please reach out.

• WinaHath
    WinaHath ✭✭✭✭

@BKing will APDocs work with any Smartsheet plan or Enterprise only?

• BKing
    BKing ✭✭✭

Hello @WinaHath

Thanks for reaching out.

We have a number of customers using it with the Business Plan quite happily. We can scale both up and down to suit project budgets.

I'd welcome to opportunity to discuss your requirement.

Best wishes

Brian