I will send you $100 USD if you can help me solve this

Steve C
Steve C
edited 11/07/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi there,

If you can help me solve this, I will send you $100 USD via Paypal.

My company generates leads for car dealerships across Canada. We will be using Smartsheet for our dealer partners to manage the leads we assign them.

Each dealership will have their own sheet which their sales people will have access to (as well as my team).

We will be using SSO (Okta) so they can login through Okta and be directed to their sheet. In order for that to happen, we need to setup each car salesperson as an unlicensed user in the account (there will be thousands).

When we do this, each user is now able to see the other users when they click to share the sheet or when they are using the conversations tool. They can @ and type the names of other users.

How can I limit them from being able to @ other users outside of their sheet as well as sharing to other unlicensed users inside the account.

Thanks!

Steve

Answers

• Nikhil Bhardwaj
    Nikhil Bhardwaj ✭✭✭
    edited 11/22/20

Hi Steve, I think I understand what your problem is and I might have a solution for you as I was kind of in a similar situation before.

1. I would suggest you to create your sheet in Workspace. U mentioned that there is one sheet for each dealership. So create a workspace with that name. And only add the important people (the sales people and your team who is working on that dealership) in that's workspace. Doing this will limit everything. No one out of the workspace can view any information in the sheet. Even if one of the persons in the workspace write a comment with @someone, they can't view the sheet.

2. Buy "Dynamic View" (If you don't have already) that Smartsheet has. I was sceptical before I suggested my company to purchase it. But trust me, it solves a lot of problems. By having this Dynamic View, you can create an entirely different view of your Master sheet without sharing the sheet with people outside of the Workspace. And the best thing is, you don't have to share this sheet with thousands of people. You can just set it based on the domain. Like whoever has xyz.com can have access to it.

3. Write an automation stating that everytime someone writes a comment (the place where people usually mention someone by adding "@"), an automated email is sent to the person to who this particular task is assigned to. And in that email, include the link of the Dynamic view that you created. So there won't be a need to write @ and even if they do, the automated email will show a link. And when they click on the link, they can only see the information that you want them to see (It's based on how you set up your view).

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Have a great day!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Steve C

To add to Krissia's and Nikhil's excellent advice/answer.

If you have an Enterprise or Premier plan, the new WorkApps solution recently released in a preview could maybe work perfectly for this use-case.

What do you think? Could that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.