can a person submitting a form save it if they need to come back to it later?

I have created a form that requires a lot of information before it can be submitted. The person completing the form may not have all the information at hand or may get interrupted while completing the form. Is there a way the person can save what has been entered so far and come back to it later? Is the only to keep the window open? Other ideas?

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Susan Hildebrant

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to partially save in the forms, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, you could let them submit, and if it's not complete, an Update Request would be sent out the submitter.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Susan Hildebrant
    Susan Hildebrant ✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree

Thanks for the fast response!

I like your idea, but that generates another question. Many of the fields are required. If you understand the flow, I would be unable to make the fields required. What do you suggest? There is a lot of logic in the form. How would the user know those fields are required? Just thinking "out loud" and trying to work through the process.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/17/20

@Susan Hildebrant

Happy to help!

You can use multiple Update Requests and set up Workflows that would send them again if the required fields aren't filled in.

Another option could still be to use forms, but with a unique identifier to connect them.

Would that be better?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Matt K
    Matt K ✭✭

I have the same use case and same pain point with the forms. It looks like I would need to create 6 to 8 separate forms in order to overcome the issue of not being able to save. The Update Request is not helpful because it requires manually selecting the columns that you want them to update, it removes the logic, it removes the descriptions that you add to the form. It would be nice if the "divider" somehow triggers saving the form. Like instead of completing 100+ questions in a row, you could use the divider every 25 for example and it will save the progress for the section you completed.

I also recently saw where you can customize the URL and key in certain information (like client name or email address), this is somewhat helpful since I now have to break everything up into multiple forms. It at least prevents our clients from having to enter their company name and email address for every form. It still requires alot of manual manipulation and isn't very scalable.

• This is a major barrier for us. How can we capture all the logic we put into a form for a process that might take weeks to complete? Can they edit or revise a submitted form?

Can you add an option to edit the form you submitted? So if the first 3 questions are answered and they submit, they'll receive an email confirmation with a copy of their form. If we have an added setting to allow them to edit their responses, maybe they could re-open the same form submission and add 5 more responses while retaining all the logic for the entire form.

Thanks!

• Same here. How would I code Smartsheet to do @Andrée Starå suggestion above?

"Multiple forms, each section is one form, after the first one is complete the second would load automatically (would need to match the information in the sheet manually or automatically if possible)"

• Curious to hear an answer to @Sarah Watts question for @Andrée Starå

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sarah Watts & @Josh Runnion

I'd be happy to share an example. 

Please send me an email at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!

• Is Smartsheet developing a method for the Forms to be saved without submitting?

It's a year later since the original post on this topic and like many others, I have the same issue. I have 6 pages of information that need to be filled in, and utilizing a "save" function would be very helpful and solve my concern about the length of the form.

• Same question here... This function would be tremendously helpful for the project coordinators I manage that need to fill these forms on a periodical basis.

• @Steve Gieser,

Are you able to break the 1 form up into several? If so, then on the Form Settings page,

Under

Change the

to

and merely enter the URL for the next form for the user to complete.

Otherwise, if it can't be broken up into multiple forms, then you may want to have them just fill out the sheet. If you don't wish to create shares for multiple people, you can "publish" the sheet and select the

Edit by Anyone and turn on the option. Then simply copy the link and send the link out to those who need it.

Don Wilcox

#Smartsheet Certified

• Sean Maney
    Sean Maney ✭✭✭✭

I have the same issue expressed here. My team needs to be able to save the form for a later submittal, work on the form is done in batches.

Has the "Save for Later" issue been resolved?

• Agreed...reviewing other threads it appears this enhancement has been discussed for more than 5 years. It's a basic feature in other forms apps and a big miss for Smartsheet.

• I have reviewed the thread about saving a form for later submittal and don't see a recent response from Smartsheet. Is there an update?