Referencing a Lookup Table

Good afternoon,

I am rather new to Smartsheet formulas. I am trying to reference a lookup table column. Please see screenshot.

In the main table, I would like e.g. "MM" to autopopulate when Mickey Mouse is entered in the FULLNAME column.

Whether I try VLookup or Index/Match in the FULLNAME column of Main Table, I receive errors. I am sure that it is a simple fix.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Therese Murphy

Answers

• Just to correct...in my actual lookup table FULLNAME is the primary column and Acronym is Column2

• The above notes is my own correction

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/01/20

Hi @Therese Murphy -DPSCS- 

Hope you are fine, i prepared a sample sheet for your question and i hope the following will solve it.

1- Acronym column & FULL NAME Column & Formula Column are Text / Number type.

2- Criteria Column is dropdown menu type contain all Acronym you will use.

3- in formula column use this formula =VLOOKUP(Criteria@row, Acronym:[FULL NAME], 2, 0) and convert it to column formula.

now when you select from Criteria column any Acronym automatically you will get the full name in formula column.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Thank you so much...what would the VLOOKUP formula look like if you were referencing another sheet?

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Therese Murphy -DPSCS- 

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!