New Report Publish Current User Not Working

ker9
ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/18/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I Published a (new style) report using Access Control-Only available to Users, however, it continues to show the view the publisher sees. The report is Filtered to Current User on a contact column.

This help file seems to indicate that it should show the Current User view:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482085-share-or-publish-your-report

I also added it to a Dashboard to test instead of just using the link but that didn't work either.

What am I missing?

Does the viewer need to be shared to the underlying sheet when viewing a published report for current user to work? (I thought the point of publishing was so to not share the sheet.)

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ker9

It’s because the current user doesn’t work on published reports.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå - thanks for the feedback. The help files, etc. all seem to indicate that it should work and it would be awesome if it did. I will go back to using Dynamic View, the problem is that they want to be able to export it and there doesn't seem to be a method for that.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/18/20

@ker9

Happy to help!

Here's where it says that it doesn't work.

Published reports may mimic the publisher’s view

A published report with Access Control set to Available to anyone with the link will appear to the viewer with the same information that the publisher can see. It will not validate the Current User filter or accessible sheets against the viewer of the published report. This is important to keep in mind if you don’t have access to all of the underlying source sheets, or if you’ve used a Current User filter in your report.

Regarding Dynamic View and Export.

I recently had a client with a similar need, so I developed a quite advanced solution, a Dynamic View light. 😉

Each user has their own sheet and report connected to it and can export to Excel if needed without access to anything else.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.