How do I automate the creation of a project schedule from a form submission?

Hoping someone might be able to help me figure out this workflow:

• Form is submitted requesting a new project with the following information: name of project, requested go live date, assigned project manager
  • This form submission triggers a workflow that will automatically pull a project template, inserts "name of project" in title, inserts "go live date", inserts "assigned project manager"

I have a project schedule template already set up. There will be requests for dozens of projects that use the same template and I'm hoping to be able to automate this piece.

Best Answers

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Teresa Williams

Hope you are fine, i think you can find a solution for your issue by using Smartsheet Control Center: Create a Blueprint, please read the following article and i hope it will help you.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Teresa Williams

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

If the Premium add-on, Control Center isn't an option.

I'd recommend creating an Intake Process and then connect that to the Schedule Template (Sheet), so for each new project, you'd use the Schedule Template (Sheet) and then add a project id or similar, and the information from the Intake Sheet would be shown.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• krieves
    krieves ✭✭

Hello!

I am looking to do something very similar. When our team signs a contract for a new project, I would like to automate the creation of a series of tasks necessary to complete the project. Is there a way to do this without Control Center? Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @krieves

I hope you're well and safe!

How would the tasks be structured? All in one, or a separate sheet for each project?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• krieves
    krieves ✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå !

We don't necessarily need a separate sheet for each project, as long as we could keep all the tasks for Project 1 under Project 1, the tasks for Project 2 under Project 2, etc. Is that something that's possible outside of using Control Center?

Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@krieves

Happy to help!

Yes, we could have a package of tasks copied to the sheet, but it would always be added at the end of the sheet. Otherwise, we would need to use a Premium App or the Smartsheet API.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!