JC or DPH Audit findings transfer from website to Smartsheet

Guy Paterson
edited 09/11/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Good evening, at the suggestion of the SS tech support I am putting a question out here to see if someone else has solved this conundrum. We would like to be able to track our JC and DPH findings, closure and sustainment for audit findings in SS, but are having difficulties transferring the information from the web to SS. One cell at a time via Excel is proving a little too painful. Wondered if anyone else had solved this?

Thanks,

Guy Paterson

CI Advisor

Connecticut Children's

gpaterson@connecticutchildrens.org

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning @Guy Paterson ,

The Community will no doubt find a solution for you. Need a little more information: What have you need doing? How are you extracting the data from the web? How does the data get posted to the web? How are you entering it into SS? Does all of the data go into the same SS sheet?

Happy to help,

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

Currently my colleague has been copying and pasting one cell at a time into SS via Word or Excel.

The data can be taken from the web in several ways with formats as follows:

a .pdf

WebPage, HTML

WebPage, Single File

WebPage, Complete

Not sure how it gets posted to the web.

Currently , yes all the data goes into one SS. We are planning to use dashboards to show required details to manage it.

Hope that helps.

Thank you,

Guy

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon @Guy Paterson ,

It's a little involved but probably easier than copying and pasting individual cells:

The key is to extract the data from the web in a format that you can import into Smartsheets. Excel (.xls, .xlsx, or .csv) is the best for you. It's going to take some experimentation to find the right technique to get the data into an Excel file in a way that requires the least amount of clean up before being imported into Smartsheets. You can try .pdf or just copying and pasting the html table from the web site.

Once to have what you need in Excel you'll pull it into SS as a New Sheet. From there you can copy or move rows to your main sheet. Before copying, or even before bringing into SS, clean the data so that it matches your SS columns. Make the column headings the same as the sheet you want them to end up in. Remove data that you don't need.

Info on importing into SS is below.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.