Is there a way to log when a new comment has been added?

I am working on a sheet where the comments feature will be heavily used. A whole team of people will be using this and I need the sheet to "log" when a new comment is added. I don't think it matters how. I have contemplated a checkbox column that is checked when added, a date column that I can then use conditional formatting on to highlight when its a new comment in the last 24 hours. I am open to any solution as long as it works. As always, your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @M. David ,

There currently isn't a direct way to log comments. You can use automation to alert someone when a comment is made. You can also use automation to copy a row to another sheet when a comment is added. This could be used like a log. Create a Comment Log sheet with created by and created system columns. Add automation to your main sheet to copy the row to your Comment Log sheet when a comment is added or changed. You can run reports from the Comment Log sheet to summarize the information collected.

During Engage 2020 Smartsheets announced a new feature that will allow you to use automation to record a date. Once released, that function should also be useful to you here.

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @M. David ,

There currently isn't a direct way to log comments. You can use automation to alert someone when a comment is made. You can also use automation to copy a row to another sheet when a comment is added. This could be used like a log. Create a Comment Log sheet with created by and created system columns. Add automation to your main sheet to copy the row to your Comment Log sheet when a comment is added or changed. You can run reports from the Comment Log sheet to summarize the information collected.

During Engage 2020 Smartsheets announced a new feature that will allow you to use automation to record a date. Once released, that function should also be useful to you here.

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• M. David
    M. David ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your response. The new feature you mentioned just released and I will see if that will help. I learned that the Bridge premium app will allow you to capture the text of the last comment and bring it into your sheet, but I don't have that app. Thanks again.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!