Filter View Access for certain users

Daniel T.
Daniel T.
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi everyone,

I am using Smartsheet to implement an AM (additive manufacturing) order tool for a SME, which uses AM for prototyping. Objective of that project is to directly set an order out of the CAD programm (STL-file, part specifications) into Smartsheet, which will automatically send a notification to the supplier, who will then have access to an order form to fill in the confirmation data.

It is important that the supplier has an overview over all the orders from us, but since we are working together with more than one supplier, I want to hide orders from other suppliers. With the filtering function, one can only display the orders from one supplier by setting a criteria. Now, I want to ask if it is possible only to enable a filtered sheet for certain users?

Or does anyone has suggestions how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Comments

• I don't think it is possible to apply filters based on the user without a 3rd party app.  However, to get the specific order information from each client I would suggest that you set up an automated action (update request) which is triggered by a new row.

As for sharing only specific orders with your client, the best way to do this would be using a report with the filter already applied.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/12/18

Hi as Jack says the reports is the way forward for suppliers, the only thing I would add is that you publish the reports and there are variouse option there and share the url link to the respective customer contact.  This way they will only see thier data and they will be able to look at it whenever thy want through the link you send then.

With regards to 3rd part apps, Smartsheet have an app that may be suitable but it is an extra cost  the following link gives you the basic info, but you will need to talk to the sales team to find out more.  It is quite expensive so will depend on the business needs priority.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476606-formulas-reference-data-from-other-sheets?frame=0&nav=1

• Thank you so much for your answer!

I solved it as you told me and it works, only problem is that I have to unlock the original sheet to the supplier in order to let him make changes on the report.

& sorry for my late reply!

• I am looking to do something similar and I think this explains the situation, but I just wanted to see if someone can confirm:

Basically you cannot filter what is displayed in a sheet/report based on who is logged.

The solution would be to create a report for each user or group of users and then share the right report with the right users.

You would have to give the users appropriate permissions to the sheet in order to let them do things via the report (and the report is simply a view into the sheet) so technically if you allow a user to edit cells, they could theoretically edit cells in any row. However they can only see their "own" rows via the report so they can't actually get to any one else's rows in order to edit them.

Correct? It makes sense that it would work this way, but as its about permitting people access I don't want to assume anything.

Thanks!

Allan.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Allan Watkins

Please see my comments/answers below.

I am looking to do something similar and I think this explains the situation, but I just wanted to see if someone can confirm:

Basically you cannot filter what is displayed in a sheet/report based on who is logged.

[Andrée Starå] Yes, you can, to some extent, by using a current user filter, but it will only filter the rows.

The solution would be to create a report for each user or group of users and then share the right report with the right users.

[Andrée Starå] You can use the current user criteria in one report for multiple people, and depending on who opens it, they will only see what they have access to.

You would have to give the users appropriate permissions to the sheet in order to let them do things via the report (and the report is simply a view into the sheet) so technically if you allow a user to edit cells, they could theoretically edit cells in any row. However they can only see their "own" rows via the report so they can't actually get to any one else's rows in order to edit them.

[Andrée Starå] Yes, that is correct.

Correct? It makes sense that it would work this way, but as its about permitting people access I don't want to assume anything.

[Andrée Starå] Yes.

If you need more granular control. You can use the premium add-on, Dynamic View.

Is that an option?

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.