turn a row in one sheet to multiple rows in another sheet

I want to create a "task list" so when I complete a row in one smartsheet(sheet a), I wat to break that into 10 "to-do" rows in a second sheet(sheet b). is there a way to do this? essentially what I am trying to do is for every row in sheet b, I want to send a separate request for update. i have datamesh if that will help

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kenneth Green

Not sure I follow.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kenneth Green
    Kenneth Green ✭✭✭✭

I will try to explain more. Here is a snapshot of the sheet i have, when the first 4 check boxes are complete, the line complete is automatically checked and a move rows workflow will kick off hypothetically)

I then want a second "to do" sheet created shows like this mock up

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve not yet tested it, but it seems you could create a separate DataMesh for each row in the second sheet as Add actions. You’d still have to build in the intel somewhere that provides the task text. For instance, a column for each task in your Source sheet would enable the first DataMesh—run when [Blanks Complete] is blank—to add a row in your Target sheet that has selected only [control no.] and [task name DL] containing “upload drivers license” (as does every row in that column) from the Source. The second DataMesh operation, built and run separately, would instead add the value from a different column (namely [task name SSN]), thus appearing with “upload SSN card” as the next row in the Target sheet.

Obviously, if there’s a one-to-one relationship between task and worker (ie, all DLs go to Bob, SSNs to Ted, and so on) then could be brought into either sheet from a helper sheet.

Again, this is just to give you something to try. I can’t say from experience that it will work—though no obstacles jump out at me.

PS - My first inclination would be to instead conduct within the original sheet the operations you’ve mapped out, by simply adding those tasks as new columns on the first sheet. Assuming you want to have each worker prompted to do their task then (with a Contact column containing their email) they could be sent Alerts or Update Requests. However, I grant you may have a use case warranting the Source/Target-sheet approach.