#Blocked when trying to delete column

I have a column "INACTIVE" that I'm trying to delete because I don't need it anymore. However, when I do, a different column that has a formula in it changes to "#BLOCKED." The "inactive" column is not part of the formula. I don't understand why deleting this column is causing this other column to be impacted. Below is the formula. Does anyone have any thoughts?

=IF(Ineligible@row = 1, "Red", IF([Launch Date]@row = "", "Yellow", IF(AND([Launch Date]@row < TODAY(), Engaged@row = 1), "Green", IF([Launch Date]@row > TODAY(), "Red", "Yellow"))))

Answers

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jennifer Lenander

The BLOCKED message is supposed to be an indication that a cell your are referencing contains an error. The best first step would be to check the cells you are referencing for any potential errors.

It does seem odd that your deleting the INACTIVE column would cause this error. Is the INACTIVE column feeding a formula that is tied into the Ineligible column that is referenced in your formula by chance?

If all the cells listed in your formula have the same naming convention and do not have any errors, then you might want to add a new column and paste your formula in there to see if you get it to work. I have had a few instances where for whatever reason my formulas don't work as expected. Clearing the contents of the cell or adding a new column has helped to resolve some of those intermittent issues. It's worth giving it a try.

All the best,

Sandra

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jennifer Lenander

See this great post on Formula errors which indicates what the #Blocked error means.

I agree with Sandra, the column showing the message must be referencing your Inactive column.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!