I am trying to look across 4 columns to pick out if anyone Denied a Access Request

With this formula below I can see if each of the 4 people Approved something, but how can I add a nested section that would also mark a [Approval Check] field "Someone Denied The Request" if any one of the 4 approvers mark the approval as "Declined"

=IF(AND([Bob Approval]@row = "Approved", [Jack Approval]@row = "Approved", [Jill Approval]@row = "Approved", [Matt Approval]@row = "Approved"), "All Approved", "Pending Approval")

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @MJ215

Try something like this.

=IF(COUNTIF([Bob Approval]@row:[Matt Approval]@row, "Approved") = 4, "All Approved", IF(CONTAINS("Declined", [Bob Approval]@row:[Matt Approval]@row), "Request Declined", IF(CONTAINS("Pending", [Bob Approval]@row:[Matt Approval]@row), "Pending Approval")))

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @MJ215

I need some clarification please. Are you asking for an IF condition to build onto your current IF to take into account any denied request, as well as a new formula in the checkbox column which triggers if this Approval summary column has Declined? Either/both requests are very doable, I'm just unclear what you're asking. While I'm asking, are the four approval columns all side by side as four continuous columns, or are the spread out in your sheet? This helps determine which functions are possible.

Kelly

• MJ215
    MJ215 ✭✭

One IF statement expanding on what I have would be great. I would want the [Approval Check] column to hold a formula to say if the approval is still pending with anyone and hasn't been marked "Declined" it should be marked "Pending Approval", once someone declines the approval I would like the [Approval Check] column to be marked "Request Declined" and that will trigger an email. When all 4 people approve the [Approval Check] will be "All Approved" and that will trigger a different email.

My current formula can only check to see if someone marked "Approved" so even if the approver marks "Declined" the [Approval Check] is still "Pending Approval"

=IF(AND([Bob Approval]@row = "Approved", [Jack Approval]@row = "Approved", [Jill Approval]@row = "Approved", [Matt Approval]@row = "Approved"), "All Approved", "Pending Approval")

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @MJ215

Try something like this.

=IF(COUNTIF([Bob Approval]@row:[Matt Approval]@row, "Approved") = 4, "All Approved", IF(CONTAINS("Declined", [Bob Approval]@row:[Matt Approval]@row), "Request Declined", IF(CONTAINS("Pending", [Bob Approval]@row:[Matt Approval]@row), "Pending Approval")))

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!