Sum a column of numbers only if they meet certain criteria.

I hope this makes sense.

I am trying to add up all the numbers is column "Slides". But I only want to include the numbers if the done is not checked. I also not not want to include the number if column "Status" says Scoring Complete. Column "status" has many different options in it. I only need to total to be in one cell, but this sheet is forever changing so I want that cell to update on its own. Thanks for the help in advance!

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sarah Moore ,

I'm guessing at your column names so you'll need to make some adjustments, but try:

=SUMIFS([slides]:[slides], [done]:[done], 0, [status]:[status], <>"scoring complete")

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sarah Moore ,

I'm guessing at your column names so you'll need to make some adjustments, but try:

=SUMIFS([slides]:[slides], [done]:[done], 0, [status]:[status], <>"scoring complete")

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Yes! Thank you so much! it worked

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent. Please accept my answer to close the discussion. Thanks for contributing to the Community.

Mark

• I have one other question. So i used the same formula for calculating something else.

=SUMIFS([Number of Slides]:[Number of Slides], Done:Done, 0, Status:Status, "Stained")

And it works but i want it to add the "stained" and "staining in progress" in the same column. how to i rewrite the formula in order for it to do this? "Staining in progress" is also listed as an option in the same status column.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sara,

=SUMIFS([Number of Slides]:[Number of Slides], Done:Done, 0, Status:Status, OR("Stained", "Staining in Progress"))

Work for you?

Mark

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!