Comment Column

OEI_Engineer
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to show the latest comment in a column? We might have 100 rows, each with their own comments. Having to click on the comments button to see them slows the review process down when you're skimming all of the rows.

Comments

• Gwyneth C
    Gwyneth C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I understand this dilemma. Here's how I handle the same scenario in workflows that I manage:

1. I create a column for the most current comment.
    2. As new comments come in, I move the text of the current comment to the Comments row—essentially, I use the Comments row to archive the conversation while keeping the most current comment scannable in the sheet.

Your request to be able to expose comment text in a more easily scanned format is a good one though. If you haven't done so already, please use the "Submit Product Enhancement Request" link on this page to let our product team know your desire for such a feature.

Thanks for your question!

-Gwyneth

• Gwyneth,

I do exactly as you suggest above - I keep the last comment in a column in the sheet. Is there a way to automate getting the comment into both locations (e.g. as a comment and also in the column). Right now I am manually typing, selecting, copy, paste and that is very cumbersome.

As near as I can tell, there is no workflow that I can write to populate a column OR to create a comment.

Am I missing a better solution?

Thank you,

Sarah Wilson

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

@Sarah Wilson

The third-party service, Zapier, could be an excellent option for this scenario.

Is that an option for you?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Unless Im missing something, couldnt OP just click on "CONVERSATIONS - ALL" to have all comments within the sheet listed chronologically?