Count of Selections within a Multi-Select Dropdown

Hey there!

I am looking for assistance in counting the values within a cell that is formatted as a multi-select dropdown for each date associated with the creation of the Smartsheet line. The creation date of the line is being populated from the system-generated column option so I have pulled out the month and date into separate identifying columns and not sure if this is my issue or not. Here is the formula that I have tried:

Please let me know what suggestion you have or if you need additional data to assist.

Thank you!

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Cinda.q ,

Try:

COUNTIF({Issue},AND(HAS({Month Created},@cell=12), HAS({Date Created}, @cell=[Month/ Date]@row)))

Assume that both {Month Created} and {Date Created} are multi-select drop downs. If they aren't, remove the HAS.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Cinda.q
    Cinda.q ✭✭✭✭

Mark-

This formula did not work :( I did remove the HAS because the only column notated in the formula with a multi-select drop down is the "Issue" column- which is why I was starting the the COUNTM formula originally.

I tried:

COUNTIF({Issue},AND({Month Created},@cell=12), {Date Created}, @cell=[Month/ Date]@row)) -- this resulted in #INVALID OPERATION

when I tired:

COUNTIF({Issue},AND(HAS({Month Created},@cell=12), HAS({Date Created}, @cell=[Month/ Date]@row))) -- this resulted in 0 value where I know there should be some sort of count output

I also tried:

=COUNTIF({Issue}, AND({Month Created} = 12, {Date Created} = 1) -- this also resulted in #INVALID OPERATION

Any other suggestions?

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI @Cinda.q ,

I have a solution but it requires 2 helper columns and would work best as a separate metric sheet. Or, it may give you an idea so you can find a better solution.

Insert a multi-select column [Dec_Values] with the column formula: =JOIN(COLLECT({issue], {month created}, @cell=12, {date created}, @cell= [month/ date]@row), CHAR(10)))

This column places all of the drop down values that met the criteria into a single drop down cell.

On the same sheet great a text/number column [Dec_Cnt] with the formula = COUNTM([dec_values]@row)

This formula counts how many drop down values are in the cell you consolidated to.

Help at all?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Cinda.q
    Cinda.q ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the assistance I was hoping to create a formula in a separate metric sheet to calculate this, but I ended up just adding a helper column that contained the COUNTM and then did a SUMIFS off of that column.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!