how do i import multiple large googlesheets, with multiple worksheets, and then integrate them?

Dennis__
Dennis__ ✭✭
edited 01/22/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I have inherited several google worksheets. each worksheet is stand alone, with about 20+ workbooks per sheet. the first several workbooks of each sheet are basically summary dashboards of the remaining workbooks. so there's lots of vlookups, sumifs and so forth. When I try to import, of course only the first sheet of each is coming over and formulas are not being preserved.

my goal is to: retire all the google sheets, create a summary dashboard and summary report, and actually link the workbooks together. ideas on how best to approach this problem are much appreciated! (btw: this is to help schools reopen post COVID, so any help is helping kids!)

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dennis__

Depending on the specifics, I'd recommend collecting all the similar data in one Smartsheet sheet and then looking at the summary dashboards in the Google Sheet and replicating those in the same Smartsheet sheet, (and/or) a so-called Master Metrics Sheet, and then creating Reports and Dashboards from it.

Make sense?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• thanks Andree!

in terms of the sheets:

1. which i shared with you, is summary tracker, but it is not linked to any other sheets. so updates are manually keyed in. the purpose of this tracker is executive reporting and a summary checklist to make sure all tasks have be completed. the instructions i have received is this is the sheet is the most important sheet, should be retained, but improved.
    2. googlesheets 2: is a sprawling workbook, each worksheet uses the same template and then is populated for each school. this will grow to over 100 worksheets, there is no summarization. one challenge is the template, replicated on each worksheet, is not organized using columns. they more used the worksheet to create mutliple "boxes" and each box, of which there are 3 on a screen at a time, so each row will be used for parts of each box and each column will have 3 boxes in it to. i want to combine in one smartsheet, and then link to 1 above.
    3. same as 2, but even more use of boxes... but it does have a summary sheet. i also want to consolidate and link to 1.
  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dennis__

You're more than welcome!

Thanks for the clarification, but to give you the best advice, I'd like to see the structure.

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.