Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Send Update - To update only selected cell?

Is there any way to allow only selected cell for updates? Reason being that I would not want other data in the row to be accidently and wrongly updated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Isriyanti,

Yes!  If users are accessing the sheet direclty, then you can lock the columns or rows so they can't be deleted/updated.

http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/522077

If you are sending the Row out to a user for an update and only want certain cells to be updated, this was just added in the new product release on 8/14/15. 

http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/504779-using-update-requests

Hope that answers your question!

Tim

• John Hammond
    edited 08/20/15

To add on to what Tim suggested, update request let you select which columns to include but if you want the recipient to view but not edit some columns, lock them. Locked columns cannot be edited in update requests.

• The column and row locking feature is an awesome feature.  It's already saved me from teammembers getting where they are not supposed to be, such as writing over formulas or links.

• Hi.  This is a very old post but I run into a concern connected to this discussion.  So I need to send an update request to my requestors for them to input their concerns has been closed.  On the update form, I want some data from other cells to be included, but when the update form was sent, those data (that was not meant to be edited) can be edited.  I get it that those data cells can be lock beforehand but it will take a lot of time for the grid owner to lock and unlock the cells since he has to input certain data (like checking a checkbox) that will trigger the Sending of update action.  I hope there's already alternative action on this since I dont want my end user to edit data they don't mean to touch or my grid user to be hassled on locking and unlocking cells every single time.

This discussion has been closed.