Questions Regarding Data Uploader

Hello,

I apologize for the multiple questions asked within this discussion, but I am new to Data Uploader:

1. Is it possible to use Data Uploader to take data added to a Smartsheet table and have it update automatically into a .CSV file?
  2. Is it possible to use Data Uploader to connect Smartsheet to SQL Server?

I have tried to find information on these two questions but have had little luck when it comes to finding answers.

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

The short answer is no, Data Uploader works the other way around.

You can use Data Uploader to bring in data from a CSV into Smartsheet, as it Uploads information, but it does not sync that data back to the CSV file (or download the information from Smartsheet). See this article: Data Uploader.

You can export sheets into an excel file, but this is a one-time export and is not live/dynamic.

Instead of Data Uploader, it sounds like you're looking for the Live Data Connector (similar name, but different functionality). The Live Data Connector uses the Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) interface by Microsoft that allows applications to access data in database management systems (DBMS) using SQL.

You can find information on the Live Data Connector here, and the documentation and User Guide here.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

My apologies! I reviewed the information on the Live Data Connector and it looks like the SQL database is not currently supported at this time.

The Smartsheet Live Data Connector is built on ODBC standards and can be installed as a driver in other ODBC environments. But, it should be noted that the Live Data Connector is designed to work specifically with the applications listed on the requirements page (https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/odbc-docs/#requirements). With the Live Data Connector, we only support using it in those listed applications.

At this point I would suggest searching for available solutions that exist through other 3rd party integrations (such as Zapier).

In regards to Data Uploader, currently Data Uploader can read data files from:

• Smartsheet Attachments
    • Google Drive
    • Microsoft OneDrive

This means that you would first need to export the information from your SQL table into a CSV. Then you can use this file to update/upload your new data into Smartsheet, either as an attachment or through accessing it via one of the Drives above. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

The short answer is no, Data Uploader works the other way around.

You can use Data Uploader to bring in data from a CSV into Smartsheet, as it Uploads information, but it does not sync that data back to the CSV file (or download the information from Smartsheet). See this article: Data Uploader.

You can export sheets into an excel file, but this is a one-time export and is not live/dynamic.

Instead of Data Uploader, it sounds like you're looking for the Live Data Connector (similar name, but different functionality). The Live Data Connector uses the Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) interface by Microsoft that allows applications to access data in database management systems (DBMS) using SQL.

You can find information on the Live Data Connector here, and the documentation and User Guide here.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Thank you, Genevieve. I have another question. I have been able to add data to a .CSV file and have it automatically populate within Smartsheet with the Data Uploader. Is it possible to do something similar with a SQL database?

Let's say I have a SQL table that adds rows of information every day. Is it possible to use the Data Uploader to take that data and automatically populate it within Smartsheet?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

My apologies! I reviewed the information on the Live Data Connector and it looks like the SQL database is not currently supported at this time.

The Smartsheet Live Data Connector is built on ODBC standards and can be installed as a driver in other ODBC environments. But, it should be noted that the Live Data Connector is designed to work specifically with the applications listed on the requirements page (https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/odbc-docs/#requirements). With the Live Data Connector, we only support using it in those listed applications.

At this point I would suggest searching for available solutions that exist through other 3rd party integrations (such as Zapier).

In regards to Data Uploader, currently Data Uploader can read data files from:

• Smartsheet Attachments
    • Google Drive
    • Microsoft OneDrive

This means that you would first need to export the information from your SQL table into a CSV. Then you can use this file to update/upload your new data into Smartsheet, either as an attachment or through accessing it via one of the Drives above. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve