Rename source or target sheet used in DataMesh Cofig

Mona Said
Mona Said ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi,

I tried finding an answer but i couldn't, if i rename a target or source sheet referenced toin a data mesh configuration will it get updated automatically? or the Data mesh will stop functioning?

thanks

Mona

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mona Said

If you rename either of the sheets the DataMesh will continue to function as it did before the name change. I've tested this on my own DataMesh Configuration and can confirm that it runs without any issues.

However, you will not see the new name appear in the Configuration; the configuration will keep the original name from when you selected it at the start. If you want to update the name within the Configuration you'll need to create an entirely new one.

Keep in mind that if you change the sheet by adding a new column after you have mapped a Premium Application (such as DataMesh), the new column will not appear. You'll want to create a new Configuration in this instance as well.

Let me know if you need any further clarification!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mona Said

If you rename either of the sheets the DataMesh will continue to function as it did before the name change. I've tested this on my own DataMesh Configuration and can confirm that it runs without any issues.

However, you will not see the new name appear in the Configuration; the configuration will keep the original name from when you selected it at the start. If you want to update the name within the Configuration you'll need to create an entirely new one.

Keep in mind that if you change the sheet by adding a new column after you have mapped a Premium Application (such as DataMesh), the new column will not appear. You'll want to create a new Configuration in this instance as well.

Let me know if you need any further clarification!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thank you for your help :)

• Genevieve P.

No problem! 🙂

• @Genevieve P. Hello there,

I am kinda facing the same issue here. So when I changed the column names in the source file the data mesh stopped working. When I checked the DM config the columns were removed (emptied out) I had to select the new columns from a drop down menu.

Is there a way to Lock changing the names of the columns from everyone that has access other than me? Just in case if someone changes the name of a certain column without my knowledge my DM won't get corrupted. Thanks in advance!

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Ahmed Medo

Editing a column and changing its name is specific to sheet Owners or Admins (see: Sharing Permission Levels). This means you can protect your column names by ensuring the majority of your collaborators only have Editing permissions or lower.

Cheers,

Genevieve