Save button is not enabled after new row is added in Smartsheet via Bridge

There is a new row added in the Smartsheet via Bridge after adding a row in another sheet. Though a new row is added successfully, the Save button is not enabled to trigger the "Row Added" event in Webhooks. Please let me know how can i receive the "Row Added" trigger once the row is added, So i can create new work item in DevOps.

@Genevieve P

@Andrée Starå @Jason Weatherley , @Dan Palenchar , @Viktoria B. ., @Richard Rymill SBP  

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Suresh A

How was the workflow above triggered? It looks like that was a manual entry of a new row, which is why the internal update says "false". I've tested in my own Bridge workflow and when a row is added from a Bridge workflow into a sheet, and then that "row added" is used as a trigger in a different Bridge workflow, this section of the run log is set to "true":

Even though the created row was input by Bridge and there is no option to save the sheet, this action is still able to trigger another, separate Bridge workflow. It should also trigger a "row created" webhook event, since there is a new row added.

If you've tested this and your webhook is not recognizing the newly added row from Bridge, at this point it would be best to contact Smartsheet Support with a screen recording of all of this content so that you can show them your Bridge workflows, sheets, and webhook information in a private channel.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Suresh A

When a row is added using Bridge, the sheet is already saved automatically (which is why the Save button isn't available).

There is logic in webhook events to let you know if the workflow was triggered by a Bridge update. This means that rows added through Bridge should still trigger "row added" events.

When a workflow is triggered by an update in Smartsheet caused by Bridge, a field is set in the trigger payload {{runtime. isInternalUpdate}} to true. You will want to have the workflow behave one way for internal and another for external if you want to avoid a circular call.

If you're experiencing something different to what I've described here, you may want to reach out to Smartsheet Support with screen captures and specific details of your process so they can troubleshoot this with you in a private channel one-on-one.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Genevieve P and @Suresh A

I had a Bridge routine that seemed to stumble occasionally when I was triggering off of Rows Added - which may have been a synchronization/refresh problem when multiple rows were added at once. I was able to get a more robust trigger when I used Column changed and selected the Created column (I know, it makes no sense). This was within Bridge - not webhooks. I'm not sure if webhook has a similar trigger call but if it does, it might provide an alternative.

cheers

Kelly

• @Genevieve P Please let us know how to set in the trigger payload {{runtime. isInternalUpdate}} to true.

• @Genevieve P Could you please help to set the flag {{runtime. isInternalUpdate}} to true.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Suresh A

isInternalUpdate will automatically be set to true. You can see this within the Run Log in Bridge, under the Trigger.

There's an image in the Help Center article on Referencing Data in Bridge (here) which shows an example of the trigger event. You'll notice that in this event the isInternalUpdate is set to false.

Does that help clarify the behaviour when a row is added through Bridge?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P

If the isinternalUpdate is automatically set to true why does it show as false in the run log. Is there something that has to be adjusted or additional steps added in the attached workflow to get isinternalUpdate to state true? By doing this will the API webhook receive an Event?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Suresh A

How was the workflow above triggered? It looks like that was a manual entry of a new row, which is why the internal update says "false". I've tested in my own Bridge workflow and when a row is added from a Bridge workflow into a sheet, and then that "row added" is used as a trigger in a different Bridge workflow, this section of the run log is set to "true":

Even though the created row was input by Bridge and there is no option to save the sheet, this action is still able to trigger another, separate Bridge workflow. It should also trigger a "row created" webhook event, since there is a new row added.

If you've tested this and your webhook is not recognizing the newly added row from Bridge, at this point it would be best to contact Smartsheet Support with a screen recording of all of this content so that you can show them your Bridge workflows, sheets, and webhook information in a private channel.

Cheers!

Genevieve