Sending email, update requests and comments

Hello! I'm trying to use Smartsheet as a service request system for my team (data analysis and database management). End users only access the form, which I've embedded on a SharePoint site. Part of what I am trying to figure out is emailing with end users (who do not have Smartsheet accounts) and having that save to the row.

It seems like sending email from the case doesn't save to a history you can find. Sending update requests (when we need more information, etc.) If I send them an update request, it can allow them to update the comments so that it saves what they say. However, it seems like update requests that are completed don't appear in the row so we can't have the conversation threaded.

It seems like the only way to achieve this workflow is for people using the sheet to write a comment, then paste that into the text of an update request or email.

Am I missing something? Is there an integration I can use for this or something? We are an Office 365 org for what it's worth.

Thank you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Matan BenYishay

I'd recommend adding a so-called helper column where you collect all historical notes. It could be automated so when a new note is added to the notes column, it would copy to another sheet, and then the helper column would collect everything matching from that helper sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you @Andrée Starå. I guess what I'm not following is how to automate it so the text of the update gets saved into the notes. Is that possible?

• For posterity's sake, I think the feature that we're going to go with to do this is to email comments. If you click on a comment, you can email it with some options. You don't seem to be able to modify this template (e.g. include certain fields like a case number by default in the subject) but it seems pretty handy.

• Hi Matan,

I want to thank you for posting solution with emailing comments. I am using the Smartsheet the same way as you are and encountering the exact issue you pointed out in your first post. I have been trying to find an acceptable solution and finally, after 3 weeks of searching, I found your post. You really saved my day!

Jennifer