How can I copy a form?

How can I copy a form?

I can duplicate a form, but all changes made to the duplicate affect the original form.

I would like to be able to achieve this without saving as a new sheet.

I've made some forms that involve alot of logic with the idea I could make a template form that I could then make copies of within the same sheet.

Maybe i'm just missing something or is this something we cant do.

I hope there is an easy solution, otherwise this is a huge inefficiency within the smartsheets platform.

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brant,

Are you sure the changes to the duplicate impact the original form? I have not had that happen before. I have been able to duplicate forms and make adjustments to the duplicate, and it keeps the original as-is. (You're right - it would be ridiculous if changes to the duplicate impacted the original! Then what would the point of duplicating a form be?)

Best,

Heather

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Brant Anderson

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

You should of course be able to make a copy of a form and then make changes to it.

What happens more specifically?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Brant Anderson
    edited 02/16/21

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your timely response.

Yes I'm sure it changes the original. I made an entire template form then made a duplicate, and filled out the duplicate form, and when I went back to my original it had made all the same changes to that form.

I've even tested this on other forms that my co-workers have created and I have the same results, the duplicates change the original form.

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi!

I just did a test, and was able to duplicate a form and make changes to it without any interference with the original. As @Andrée Starå mentioned, it may be helpful to

describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. 

Best,

Heather

• @Heather D @director62476

Hey there,

I found out if make a duplicate of a form, then you must deactivate the duplicate form in order for it to not make changes to the original.

However, I found that it still makes changes to certain fields, I haven't actually spent enough time with it to find out exactly what still changes, however i was (mostly) able to accomplish what I wanted this way.

I still don't fully understand this function and it seems like no one at smartsheets does either, I shouldn't have write a novel to convey what my problem is, everyone has this problem and it seems smartsheets has no clear solution.

Hope this helps, I only use smartsheets when I absolutely have to for work, otherwise I think it's terrible, haha.

Brant

• I hope to work with an SME to figure this out today, but the same thing happened to me and he briefly said "you can't copy a form to use for a different sheet; forms have to be created for each individual sheet." This seems pretty ridiculous to me as someone who will need to create sheets for numerous different teams that are almost identical. Are the developers listening?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/17/23

Hi @fhaeusel

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, as you've noticed, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @fhaeusel,

You are correct in that you cannot copy a form to another sheet. You can currently duplicate forms within the same sheet and modify as necessary. The issue in this thread is focused on an old issue that has since been resolved and is not the same as the topic you are addressing. I would suggest that you submit your feedback for this enhancement as there is definitely a need to be able to copy a form to other sheets.

The Product Feedback Form (linked here and also in the left hamburger menu in Community) is the best way to provide your Enhancement requests directly to the Product team.

As a solution I would propose making a copy of the sheet and 'save as new'. You will find the form in your new copy. You would just have to make sure to rename the form as appropriate. If you have existing sheets with data already in them - you will have to evaluate the best route to handle this. You may need to create the form from scratch.

All the best!

🌻 Sandra