Import data into an existing sheet, so that Column Properties are preserved

Hello community.

I have tried importing CSV / xlsx files from within an existing sheet, where I have the Column Properties set.

When I do it, Smartsheets creates a new sheet in the default workspace (ignoring the fact that I imported it from within an existing sheet), and names the new sheet the name of the CSV. XLSX file and makes it's own decisions on what looks like a text file or what looks like a dropdown, or check box etc based on the small bit of data it had to work with in the import.

So the column Properties do not survive. I know I could Ctrl_C, Ctrl_V the data into the sheet and the Column properties would be preserved, but I am hoping to avoid that process of actually opening the source CSV/xlsx files and doing the manual clicks.

Any ideas on a free way to do this, or even if there is a paid alternative, I'd be interested to know?

Thank you.

Dave

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/23/21 Answer ✓

Hi @David SCOTT Johnson

I hope you're well and safe!

You could maybe create a so-called helper import sheet that I sometimes do in my client solutions?

But you'd still have to copy/paste, unfortunately.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you, Andre.

If I am hearing, what you are saying, I have created an import helper sheet. I mean I have a sheet, empty of rows, but with the column definitions complete. I was hoping to import into that sheet.

But as I am hearing, I can only copy/paste into that sheet.

Thank you, for your time and valuable insight.

Regards,

Dave