Unable to edit column formulas

I'm the owner of numerous sheets and have been excited playing around with the recent addition of column formulas. However it seems like once I have created one I am unable to edit it, even as the owner of the sheet. It just gives me a little grey message saying "I have to be owner or admin of the sheet to edit".

As a work around I've been deleting the column with it in and recreating it but this does get a bit time consuming. Am I the only one having this issue as I've not found any other posts about this?

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ricky Woodage

You’ll need to right-click on any cell in the column and select Edit Column Formula.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jon Tandy
    Jon Tandy ✭✭
    edited 02/24/21

I have the same question. I am the owner of a sheet and have created several column formulas. I am logged in under my e-mail address. In the sheet properties, my e-mail is listed as the creator and the owner. But it still won't allow me to edit a column formula.

Edit Column Formula isn't even an option when I right-click. Also, this problem just started this afternoon. I was editing column formulas this morning.

• Follow up to my question - problem seems to be solved. I can edit the column formula after all, if I have not selected the entire column; but there are two cases where the option to edit the column formula is unavailable:

1) right-click on the column header or the "fx" at the top of the column (where the warning message appears about not being able to edit the formula) doesn't allow column formula to be edited.

2) select the entire column, then right-click on any cell, also doesn't show the option to edit column formula.

But if the entire column ISN'T selected, then right-click on any cell, it DOES allow the menu to Edit Column Formula.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!