👋 Welcome! Introduce yourself and connect with your peers in Healthcare and Life Sciences to receive your industry badge.

what can Smartsheet do that a typical EMR can't?

Art Davida
Art Davida ✭✭

I need to generate a list of needs for Smartsheet in areas that EMRs are unable to provide. How can automation and formulas be used to facilitate workflow in healthcare. Can Smartsheet be used as a patient portal.

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @adavida57176 ,

Thought provoking question that's been posted a couple days without a response. I'll get the discussion started.

I've found that Smartsheets is a great tool to support healthcare outside of your EMR. Healthcare organizations have many needs that aren't driven by a patient record. It's very good for project management, simple workflow automation, data collection through forms, etc. However, actual EMR integration is a step too far.

There are many heathcare use cases posted on the Smartsheet website and elsewhere on the web. People are very creative in how they use the tool.

As for a patient portal, many EMRs contain integrated patient portals that will be more capable, and secure, than a Smartsheet solution. I don't view Smartsheets a s a good patient portal solution if you want patients to access personal health information.

As you explore Smartsheet in healthcare be mindful of security and privacy. Smartsheet access controls likely aren't as robust as your EMR. While the Smartsheet system and your data are very secure, controlling who can access what can be challenging.

Look forward to hearing from others.

Be Well,

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @adavida57176 ,

Thought provoking question that's been posted a couple days without a response. I'll get the discussion started.

I've found that Smartsheets is a great tool to support healthcare outside of your EMR. Healthcare organizations have many needs that aren't driven by a patient record. It's very good for project management, simple workflow automation, data collection through forms, etc. However, actual EMR integration is a step too far.

There are many heathcare use cases posted on the Smartsheet website and elsewhere on the web. People are very creative in how they use the tool.

As for a patient portal, many EMRs contain integrated patient portals that will be more capable, and secure, than a Smartsheet solution. I don't view Smartsheets a s a good patient portal solution if you want patients to access personal health information.

As you explore Smartsheet in healthcare be mindful of security and privacy. Smartsheet access controls likely aren't as robust as your EMR. While the Smartsheet system and your data are very secure, controlling who can access what can be challenging.

Look forward to hearing from others.

Be Well,

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Thank you. I will check elsewhere for specific healthcare applications

• Hi there,

We are fairly new users to Smartsheet, so are just diving in, however our current EMR doesn't offer preregistration capabilities.

We were able to create a pre-registration form that we can send out to patients via e-mail and list on our website. Once filled out our registration team received an automated e-mail link to notify them of the pre-registration so that they can input the information into our EMR.

Cassondra